L235 PTO won’t engage

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
I have a 80’s model L235 2wd and while i was bushhogging hit something that sheered the sheer pin on the PTO shaft. Afterwards the PTO output shaft spins freely by hand but the tractor will not turn it. I drained the fluids and opened up the view port underneath the tractor which does turn when turning the output shaft but wont turn with the engine. Next i opened up the transmission by taking the gear levers and pto lever off the top. The engine will turn the pto input shaft and the gearing works. My only option now is to check the center gear case as something is not connecting there but this requires splitting the tractor. Question is can i split the tractor behind the gear levers or do i need to split it at the clutch housing first? Or is there a better way to look at this section of transmission?

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
My guess is you have broken the one-way clutch at the back of the transmission for the PTO. You would have to split it at the back of the transmission in front of the rear axle housing. Should not be too bad of a job.

Reactions: 1 user

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
My guess is you have broken the one-way clutch at the back of the transmission for the PTO. You would have to split it at the back of the transmission in front of the rear axle housing. Should not be too bad of a job.
that’s kinda what I figured. Haven’t split a tractor before though so just curious if it would be a clean split right there or if there would be shafts that I need to watch out for while doing it.

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
Ok I got the eight bolts holding the transmission together. I removed hardware for the steps, brakes, and hydraulic hoses. The tractor won’t split. Am I missing anything?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok I got the eight bolts holding the transmission together. I removed hardware for the steps, brakes, and hydraulic hoses. The tractor won’t split. Am I missing anything?
You mean the eight nuts off the studs?

If so then you'll just need to use a heavy putty knife to split the cases.

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
Tractor is apart! Problem is the clutch cams seem to be ok. See pics. The forward cam spring seems ok too. I can get the forward cam to rotate the forward shaft and the rear cam to rotate the rear shaft. Only thing I can figure is they spread apart somehow and aren’t making contact.

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
Tractor is apart! Problem is the clutch cams seem to be ok. See pics. The forward cam spring seems ok too. I can get the forward cam to rotate the forward shaft and the rear cam to rotate the rear shaft. Only thing I can figure is they spread apart somehow and aren’t making contact.
forgot pics IMG_0981.jpeg IMG_0980.jpeg

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I have seen where the spring loaded half get stuck and won't engage in the other half. Also have seen where they are just wore out and won't catch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The came look like they are in great shape.
They don't look stuck or broken.
Sounds like you have a problem before or after the cams.
If you turn the rear cam, is it connected with force (no slipping) to the rear PTO?
Can you turn the front cam with the PTO engaged?

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
The came look like they are in great shape.
They don't look stuck or broken.
Sounds like you have a problem before or after the cams.
If you turn the rear cam, is it connected with force (no slipping) to the rear PTO?
Can you turn the front cam with the PTO engaged?
Rear cam turns the pto output, no slipping. Front cam turns the front shaft just fine too. I can try engaging the pto and turning to see if there is resistance. I’m wondering if the spring was stuck and got unstuck during disassembly??

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rear cam turns the pto output, no slipping. Front cam turns the front shaft just fine too. I can try engaging the pto and turning to see if there is resistance. I’m wondering if the spring was stuck and got unstuck during disassembly??
If you can turn the front cam with the PTO engaged, you have a problem with the gears or the shift collar in the front!
You should not be able to turn the front cam with the PTO engaged.

The spring is super easy to check (very unlikely your issue), just pull the snap ring and the cam and spring will come right off.

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
If you can turn the front cam with the PTO engaged, you have a problem with the gears or the shift collar in the front!
You should not be able to turn the front cam with the PTO engaged.

The spring is super easy to check (very unlikely your issue), just pull the snap ring and the cam and spring will come right off.
cam won’t turn when pto is engaged. However while playing around with the cam on the spring I can get it to stick when the spring is depressed. I think this is my issue. I’ll pull the cam to inspect the back of it.

JoshF

Equipment
Kubota L235 2WD
Jun 24, 2024
Vedababy89
Pulled front cam and spring. All is good except that I can get it to stick. I’m thinking of just replacing the spring in case it has weakened. Other than that I can’t find anything else wrong. No metal shavings anywhere indicative of excessive wear. Only other option I see is putting it back together and testing.