L series A/C cleaning walk-through (part 1 - getting access)

Pyro Guy

Equipment
L5240HSTC
Jul 29, 2024
Topeka, KS
Recently my L5240HSTC started dripping condensation out the vents and onto me. I suspected that the drain(s) might be plugged. Plus, since I had recently bought this used, I didn't know how dirty the system might be. After searching the net, I found some discussions, but no pictures to help me along the way. So I thought as long as I was going to tackle this maintenance, I'd take some pics and share for the benefit of others.

Note that your tractor may differ from my description & pictures. Also, I'm not Kubota certified so do any of the following at your own risk.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 13 bolts marked below that hold the cab roof in place. Note that they differ in length
1-CapBolts.jpg

2. Carefully remove the roof and set aside. This is not heavy, but it's large and awkward when you are on a ladder

3. Take a picture of the entire A/C system from above the cab, in case you need to refer to this during reassembly

4. Remove the four 12mm bolts shown below
2-AC-Bolts-12mm.jpg

5. Remove the 21 Phillips-head screws marked below (one in upper-left corner is hidden under foam in this pic)
3-PhillipsScrews-21.jpg

6. Remove the trim clip (press center circle then pull clip out) and then remove plastic "U" clip that joins box to ductwork on left side (might need to remove some foam). These are shown circled below.
4-ClipLeft.jpg

7. Repeat for trim clip and "U" clip on right-side ductwork
5-ClipRight.jpg

8. Remove the water valve cable from the metal retaining clip, and pull it from under the plastic (both highlighted below)
8-UnclipCable.jpg

9. Free the door motor cams (2) by prying underneath with a screwdriver while GENTLY pressing on the catch tab (as shown below). It should not take much force on either to release.
6-FreeCams.jpg

10. Remove the cam from the motor shaft (do this for both motors)
7-RemoveCams.jpg

11. Use a small screwdriver to pry the lid off the A/C box. If you removed all the screws shown above, it should pull away with little force required. Pivot the lid (which is still attached via a cable) gently out of the way (as shown below). You might notice in the pic that I removed the 2 motors, but this turned out to be unnecessary.
9-PivotLid.jpg

12. Below are the major components. Clean any dirt or debris found on the fan, heater core, or evap. Be careful to not damage the delicate fins and only use water, air, or chemicals safe for heating/cooling systems.
10-Components.jpg

(Due to picture limit, to be continued in part 2, cleaning drains)

Last edited: