kubota ztr z122e will not crank engine, no start

Billy C

May 25, 2011
Canton, TX
Less than 200 hrs on my ztr. On occasion it would die while mowing. Turn off the pto and restarted, til it didn't. Spoiler alert... it was the seat switch gone bad.
Here is the seat safety switch, located under the seat pan.

seat switch and connector.jpg

Pull the connector and jumper it as shown.

seat switch bypass test sm.jpg

If it now starts you found the problem, bad switch. My connector was full of trash and cleaning did nothing for it. So you can hand kubota parts a handfull of money and replace the switch or just bypass it long term. This process is reversible. Cut the connector off leaving a couple inches of wire and stick the connector back on the switch and forget it exists. Strip the 4 wires on the harness. Twist the wire pairs together as shown.

long term seat switch bypass sm.jpg

Solder and heat shrink, tuck the wires back inside the wire loom and tuck the loom out of the way. Done. happy mowing. Remember your seat won't shut the mower down when you lift your butt so just be safe, like your grandpa used to do.

Just in case you have to delve deeper, here are some wiring diagrams.

wiring diagram 1 sm.jpg

wiring diagram 2 sm.jpg

wiring diagram 3 sm.jpg

Attachments

grangerjs

Equipment
Kubota Z122EBR-48 Zero Turn Mower
Mar 20, 2022
Springdale, AR
Less than 200 hrs on my ztr. On occasion it would die while mowing. Turn off the pto and restarted, til it didn't. Spoiler alert... it was the seat switch gone bad.
Here is the seat safety switch, located under the seat pan.

View attachment 45959

Pull the connector and jumper it as shown.

View attachment 45960

If it now starts you found the problem, bad switch. My connector was full of trash and cleaning did nothing for it. So you can hand kubota parts a handfull of money and replace the switch or just bypass it long term. This process is reversible. Cut the connector off leaving a couple inches of wire and stick the connector back on the switch and forget it exists. Strip the 4 wires on the harness. Twist the wire pairs together as shown.

View attachment 45962

Solder and heat shrink, tuck the wires back inside the wire loom and tuck the loom out of the way. Done. happy mowing. Remember your seat won't shut the mower down when you lift your butt so just be safe, like your grandpa used to do.

Just in case you have to delve deeper, here are some wiring diagrams.

View attachment 45963

View attachment 45964

View attachment 45965
Bless you sir, for posting these diagrams. I am doing an engine swap on my Z122E and I couldn't figure out where the green wire from the engine harness went to (the old engine was destroyed and my brother, in his haste, started pulling wires without keeping track of where they went). Oil switch.

On a somewhat-related note, where did you get this manual??? I've been searching high and low for one of these...