Kubota Tractor Extended Warranty, Is It Worth the Cost?

Kat

Equipment
LX3310 HSD
May 7, 2024
Arizona
I have a Kubota LX3310 and I keep getting emails from Kubota stating that my original warranty will expire on July 13th. They want $1,300.00 to extend the full warranty through 7/13/26 and the powertrain through 7/13/30 up to 3,500 hours with no deductibles.

This is the first tractor I've ever owned or operated, and frankly it took me a long time to get up the courage to even try to operate it. So at almost the 2 year mark it only has 79.2 hours on it. But now that I'm familiar with driving it and using the loader and auger, I've been using it two or more times a week. I have a 4.5 acre homestead that is still being developed. Lately, I've been moving some dirt, gravel, wood chips, branches/firewood, and soil amendments around and drilling a few holes. Eventually when I'm done with the auger, I plan to attach the box blade and level out a few rough roads/trails around my property. After that, I plan to attach the backhoe and remove a few small-medium sized mesquite trees. Once I'm done with those chores, I won't need to use the tractor as much. I don't have a farm or a business or anything like that which would require more rigorous use of the tractor. I think the tractor will probably have fairly light use, and I don't foresee it accumulating anywhere near 3,500 hours on the tractor in 6 years.

I also don't know what the reliability of these Kubota tractors is, or what the most common problems that occur with them. If I am in need of extended warranty repair service, the nearest Kubota dealer is 92 miles away, and they currently charge a $400 fee to transport the tractor to their location. However, there is a very good independent tractor mechanic in my area who will come to my home. He charges $80 an hour with a $100 minimum.

So, I'm wondering if it would be worth it or not to buy the extended warranty.

Thanks!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
It's only worth it if you need it, like any other extended warranty. Dealers push it pretty hard because they get a little incentive for selling it, and salesman get a little more commission as well.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901 RCR1260
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Chances are on average, you won't get out of it what the the warranty extension costs. Extended service plans are a profit enhancer.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If your product is prone to problems and has expensive electronics installed to keep the emissions working, then I would invest. If it is a rudimentary reliable diesel engine, then the answer is no.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Like all extended warranties, this is essentially insurance. And like all insurance, it’s only worth it when you need it. Well maintained Kubotas are typically reliable and have a long service life. That said, things happen. Your call on how risk adverse you are.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
Like all insurance, on average - No.

If you can't afford risk, then maybe.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I wouldn't. That's a relatively simple model (does have some emissions and computers on it). People will be doing a a few hundred hours a year on a machine like that. They don't have any reputation for breaking. On average that warranty is a big profit centre for Kubota.

If you're very unlucky, you'll get an expensive fix. Maybe 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000. Could cost you up to $5,000 if you're very unlucky. If that would break the bank, and you can afford $1,300, then it may make sense. I wouldn't personally pay $1,300 to avoid a 1 in 100 chance of paying $5,000. That's just bad math all round. But if my 1 in 100 came up, I'd shrug and say "guess I was unlucky" and pay the $5,000. If that's not you, get the warranty.

Reactions: 2 users

Kat

Equipment
LX3310 HSD
May 7, 2024
Arizona
I wouldn't. That's a relatively simple model (does have some emissions and computers on it). People will be doing a a few hundred hours a year on a machine like that. They don't have any reputation for breaking. On average that warranty is a big profit centre for Kubota.

If you're very unlucky, you'll get an expensive fix. Maybe 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000. Could cost you up to $5,000 if you're very unlucky. If that would break the bank, and you can afford $1,300, then it may make sense. I wouldn't personally pay $1,300 to avoid a 1 in 100 chance of paying $5,000. That's just bad math all round. But if my 1 in 100 came up, I'd shrug and say "guess I was unlucky" and pay the $5,000. If that's not you, get the warranty.
Thanks! That's kind of what I'm thinking. Many years ago I used to listen to consumer guru Clark Howard, and he used to advise against extended warranties. I just looked at his more recent recommendations and he says what you said; "If you can afford the cost of potential car repairs, you should never buy an extended warranty." I don't think he deals with tractors, but the logic is the same.

I think what I will do is see if I can read what the extended warranty covers, and look for any loopholes. But right now I'm leaning towards not getting it.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Unless it's KTAC, they probably don't cover accidents, and you have what some would consider a "legendarily reliable" motor, with only 80 hours in 2 years.

I feel that you are in a pretty safe position, but as posted above, you probably need to evaluate your risk tolerance.

My logic is that they sell these policies to make money, so your probably not going to need it.

But I have been wrong plenty in the past.....(y)

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Roll the dice! Chances are your tractor will not need it. But…and it’s a BIG BUT, for PEACE OF MIND, if it’s not a burden, get the insurance. Stuff is EXPENSIVE these days…😊 Good luck and enjoy your toy!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a Kubota LX3310 and I keep getting emails from Kubota stating that my original warranty will expire on July 13th. They want $1,300.00 to extend the full warranty through 7/13/26 and the powertrain through 7/13/30 up to 3,500 hours with no deductibles.

This is the first tractor I've ever owned or operated, and frankly it took me a long time to get up the courage to even try to operate it. So at almost the 2 year mark it only has 79.2 hours on it. But now that I'm familiar with driving it and using the loader and auger, I've been using it two or more times a week. I have a 4.5 acre homestead that is still being developed. Lately, I've been moving some dirt, gravel, wood chips, branches/firewood, and soil amendments around and drilling a few holes. Eventually when I'm done with the auger, I plan to attach the box blade and level out a few rough roads/trails around my property. After that, I plan to attach the backhoe and remove a few small-medium sized mesquite trees. Once I'm done with those chores, I won't need to use the tractor as much. I don't have a farm or a business or anything like that which would require more rigorous use of the tractor. I think the tractor will probably have fairly light use, and I don't foresee it accumulating anywhere near 3,500 hours on the tractor in 6 years.

I also don't know what the reliability of these Kubota tractors is, or what the most common problems that occur with them. If I am in need of extended warranty repair service, the nearest Kubota dealer is 92 miles away, and they currently charge a $400 fee to transport the tractor to their location. However, there is a very good independent tractor mechanic in my area who will come to my home. He charges $80 an hour with a $100 minimum.

So, I'm wondering if it would be worth it or not to buy the extended warranty.

Thanks!
Thst strikes me as really cheap insurance that will pay for itself in one trip to the dealer.

You cant fix it. I dont know the details of that machine but if its common rail your local mechanic cant fix anything requiring diagnostic software. Parts alone can easily total more than the cost of the warranty.

If offered that deal on my 3 year old L3901 I would take it. In tje overall scheme of things its little mote than financial noise.

Dan

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thst strikes me as really cheap insurance that will pay for itself in one trip to the dealer.

You cant fix it. I dont know the details of that machine but if its common rail your local mechanic cant fix anything requiring diagnostic software. Parts alone can easily total more than the cost of the warranty.

If offered that deal on my 3 year old L3901 I would take it. In tje overall scheme of things its little mote than financial noise.

Dan
I have to agree with @TheOldHokie , particularly if the warranty is transferable which could make the tractor more appealing if you ever wanted to sell it. $1,300 and no deductible for bumper to bumper for another two years, and power train for another six years seems very reasonable. I would look at the fine print of course to see what's covered, but for around $220/year I'd most likely opt for the coverage.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks! That's kind of what I'm thinking. Many years ago I used to listen to consumer guru Clark Howard, and he used to advise against extended warranties. I just looked at his more recent recommendations and he says what you said; "If you can afford the cost of potential car repairs, you should never buy an extended warranty." I don't think he deals with tractors, but the logic is the same.

I think what I will do is see if I can read what the extended warranty covers, and look for any loopholes. But right now I'm leaning towards not getting it.
The answer is really quite simple!
Would you buy "Car Shield" also?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The LX 3310 is a common rail injection motor. That said the cleanliness of the fuel is ESSENTIAL. The parts to fix the injection system are spendy. with that in mind I would suggest 2 things to do if you decide not to get the extended warrantee 1) have your local mechanic change the fuel filter (use only the OEM Kubota fuel filter) and engine oil every year even if you do not have enough hours to hit the change interval. 2). When he is out have him put a torque wrench to check all the bolts & nuts for the loader, tires as well as any added options like subframes. It's cheaper than the warrantee and as the old saying goes an ouch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Also keep you fuel tank full to minimize condensation and check the sight bowl of the fuel filter before you use the tractor to make sure you have no water in the fuel ( this because it sits a lot).
Don't forget to grease the loader every 10 hours it really does make a difference as it gets older.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

I can afford the cost of repairs to my new polaris, that is no issue. However, I still bought extended warranty. If I should sell it at some point, it will be worth more with the warranty. That is really the only reason, and a point should be made to consider that part too. I may buy it for my car too, undecided on that yet.

Kat

Equipment
LX3310 HSD
May 7, 2024
Arizona
I have made out well on all my extended warranties.
I bought an extended warranty when I purchased my 2015 Honda CRV, and I never needed to make a claim, so I lost money on that warranty. However, that vehicle also has very light use (I'm retired and I like to stay at home). It only has 26,475 miles on the odometer over the 9 years that I've owned it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you have a Ford, give Joel Hawley at Two Rivers Ford a call. He sells the Ford factory warranty at cost. The number is 800-900-1000. I sent you a PM

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I paid about $2500 for the 8-year, 100,000-mile warranty on my wife's Ford, and Ford has been paying to keep that car in serviceable condition ever since. Last year, the steering rack went bad and they replaced it and a whole lot of other suspension parts. The service writer told me that if I were paying for the work it would have been around $4000. This past month the heater lines to the rear heater started leaking, and they replaced those lines also. That was an all-day job because they were from the front of the car to the roof in the rear of the car. It meant taking a lot of interior pieces off to get to them. The drivetrain has been great, it is just other expensive items that haven't held up well to our long dirt road and driveway.