Kubota BX24 (D902 Engine) Running Rough, Some Limited "Stalling"

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
I purchased a used BX24 with 220 hours about a year ago. First eight months and 20 hours of use everything ran and operated well. Now, engine is running a somewhat rough other than at idle and just very recently seemed to stall out several times both with a load and without a load momentarily and then recover almost immediately (engine did not stop running). Despite running somewhat rough, engine does seem to develop adequate power even though I'm running it at less than 3k rpms.

Initially, I checked quality of fuel in tank by draining some fuel from the fuel line feeding the first fuel filter. No evidence of water or impurities. I cut open the first fuel filter -- some gunk was found in this filter but second filter appeared clean. I replaced first and second fuel filters. I checked quality of fuel feeding the injection pump, no water, no visible impurities. I checked volume of fuel flow -- seems fine. I just recently checked static pressure of fuel line feeding injector pump -- it came in at 3.5 psi - 4.0 psi using a reliable OTC gauge. It seems to me that the volume and pressure of the "lift pump" is fine. I also checked the individual injectors using an inexpensive but effective injector testing device. The spray patterns were fine as were the "pop" off pressure readings. There were no leaks at pressures below the specified pop off pressures.

In a few days, I'll be receiving a diesel engine compression tester. I don't think the symptoms I've experienced relate to a worn out engine but I thought I'd check to see the overall condition of the engine anyway.

Before I remove the injection pump and start playing with it, what other actions / investigations should I reasonably take?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
try running with fuel cap cracked open a bit (or off )....
if same issue...
Drain the tank, clean the tank, inspect that there is NOTHING in the tank......
you could have a semifloater that blocks the exit spigot......

I had a sliver of plastic jam into the spigot, was lucky to get home... anything above idle wasn't an option.

Fill with 100% fresh fuel.

20hrs in 8 months is very, very low use .diesel does degrade over time.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ditto to what Jay said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
OK. I will try running without fuel cap. In fact, what I will also do, now that I think about it (duh!), is to hook up a temporary 1 quart fuel tank (that I use when running motorcycles with bike tanks removed) with either gravity feeding the injector pump or gravity feeding the fuel pump with filtered fresh diesel. Since it runs rough with no load, this will be an easy test to run with the tractor just "sitting" there. If it runs well on the auxiliary tank, then I will drain tractor tank and install the 4 inch inspection port I already acquired through which to clean out the tank without going through the arduous task of actually removing the tank from the tractor.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user