Joystick sticky

CaperToo

Premium Member

Equipment
L3540, BH92, Loader, box scraper, tiller, bushhog. hydraulic log splitter
Nov 4, 2023
Cape Breton
I have a BH92 backhoe with approx. 20 hours on it. I was climbing off yesterday and my shirt hooked on the left joystick as I was jumping off. The boom swing to the left and struck the bank I was working on. It took me a few moments to unhook my shirt from the joystick which was hard over. Now, the joystick is stiff, hard to move and almost gets locked when I am swinging, that is, it doesn't spring back when I let it go. I have to move it back to neutral, even when engaging the boom cylinder. Does anyone know what is going on here? Thanks for any answers.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Remove the to access cover and have a good look at what might be binding,adjust as required. I'd spray 'rustcheck' or similar on all the 'moving parts'.
On my BX23S one of the joystick gimbles BROKE ! $25 and 2 hours later 'up and running'. I now spray it every 10hrs.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I have a BH92 backhoe with approx. 20 hours on it. I was climbing off yesterday and my shirt hooked on the left joystick as I was jumping off. The boom swing to the left and struck the bank I was working on. It took me a few moments to unhook my shirt from the joystick which was hard over. Now, the joystick is stiff, hard to move and almost gets locked when I am swinging, that is, it doesn't spring back when I let it go. I have to move it back to neutral, even when engaging the boom cylinder. Does anyone know what is going on here? Thanks for any answers.
Take the cover off. Odds are there's a good accumulation of rust. I treat rusty areas with Kroil to break the rust down. Disassemble if able to thoroughly clean, the apply grease and reassemble.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
If it wasn't sticky before, you probably bent the hell out of something and no amount spray will fix that. Take cover off and see. I have done similar.
rr

Reactions: 1 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I’m betting bent or somthing along that line also possible damaged. With only 20hrs on it be odd for it to be a rust issue. I’d still lube everything though. You’ll find out once ya inspect it.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I’m betting bent or somthing along that line also possible damaged. With only 20hrs on it be odd for it to be a rust issue. I’d still lube everything though. You’ll find out once ya inspect it.
The Friction Washers of the throttle on mine was CAKED with rust and it was brand new.
1000015903.jpg

Going based on that, I would expect it on the BH controls as well.

🫤 Of which I still need to inspect.

Last edited:

RocAvenger

Jun 25, 2024
Rochester
Good morning. The exact same thing happened to me last week when my shorts got caught. Have you repaired this? I plan on taking the cover off today.