Is this tractor too well used?

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
Hi everyone. I currently own a 1957 Ferguson F40. It's a beautiful machine and runs and operates very well. The reason I'm looking at a 4 wheel drive tractor is 1) for the front end loader and 2) moving snow in the winter is really hard on the old tractor. I don't like abusing it. My coworker has convinced me I need a Kubota. All modern compact utility tractors are very expensive which means in my case I either have to go small or old or both. I did find this one however. It's got lots of hours and there may be other evidence of being worn out (besides the tires). My coworker said it looks pretty beat. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
So your coworker,is a farm tractor guy and has actually seen this tractor in person ? Aside from the worn tires it looks to be in VGC.
At 20 years old it has about 1/2hr per day (4595/20/12), yawn.....really that's no time.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What you might think about is parts for an older tractor, some models are easy to find parts for, others not so much

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
So your coworker,is a farm tractor guy and has actually seen this tractor in person ? Aside from the worn tires it looks to be in VGC.
At 20 years old it has about 1/2hr per day (4595/20/12), yawn.....really that's no time.
Ok. Thanks. So you think it would be an OK buy (assuming it's mechanically sound)?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This one just popped up on Facebook. It's older buy looks sharp.
Assuming it runs and operates OK I would take the 15 year old L3430 HST over the 40+ year old L345 gear drive tractor. The HST is a much nicer tractor and as the guy selling the L345 knows paint is cheap.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Another thing about that L345 that is mentioned in the ad is the difficulty getting the PTO to engage unless you idle down or shut the tractor off could indicate a worn clutch. Be careful with this one.

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If your looking at "high hour" tractors, one thing to factor in is "How mechanically inclined are you?"

For instance, If the something semi-major happens, are you totally screwed, or would it just be an inconvenience?

As with most things, the older/more hours they have, the more likely they are to give you grief.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Have you spent a few minutes and figured out what you want to do with the tractor. Besides snow plowing, what else do you do with a tractor? How much snow plowing do you do? Do you do it with the loader bucket or a plow? What is your budget? What are your mechanical abilities? What is your tractor operating experience? Figuring out these things before looking at tractors can help you narrow down the size and age of tractors to look at. Also, tractor prices can vary by region of the country. Keep asking questions on here, lots of good people and advice here. Don’t get discouraged by the few crotchety, know it all ones that will give you harassing answers.

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
Have you spent a few minutes and figured out what you want to do with the tractor. Besides snow plowing, what else do you do with a tractor? How much snow plowing do you do? Do you do it with the loader bucket or a plow? What is your budget? What are your mechanical abilities? What is your tractor operating experience? Figuring out these things before looking at tractors can help you narrow down the size and age of tractors to look at. Also, tractor prices can vary by region of the country. Keep asking questions on here, lots of good people and advice here. Don’t get discouraged by the few crotchety, know it all ones that will give you harassing answers.
Well, like a lot of guys I've probably actually spent too much time thinking about it. The main thing would be moving snow. Sometimes it's just too much for the Ferguson and sometimes it would be really nice to be able to move a big pile without high speed ramming it. I don't have a bucket. I also can't plow uphill which would be nice. There have been a few storms where the Ferguson just couldn't do it and I had to call someone. I do get it done 90+% of the time though. It just seems to beat up on the old tractor because I often have to use momentum when I simply don't have the traction.

One of the main things I'd like to be able to do is go anywhere I need on my land in the winter. In NW Wisconsin we can get a lot of snow and sometimes I'm bound to the few areas I've plowed with the the Ferguson. A couple winters ago I had to retrieve a vehicle from behind my shed and tried to pull it out with my Ferguson in 2 feet of snow. I nearly destroyed the tractor and the vehicle in the process. Had my neighbor come over with his 4WD tractor. We hooked the chain up and he just walked it out no sweat.

Also, I've been seriously considering getting cattle again and I feed out round bales in the pasture (helps the pasture a ton). There were some winters when this wasn't even possible. It would also be nice to be able to lift the bales up without pushing the limits of the tractor and also stack them with the loader.

I also have ruts and erosion that I would like to fix, dirt/gravel/sand to move, sheds to straighten, heavy things to lift into the loft, and probably a bunch of things I don't even know about 'till I buy one.

Field work (I don't do a ton, but a little here and there) and maybe brush hogging will be done with the gear-drive Ferguson. It was born for that. I've had it here on my 50 acre hobby farm for almost 20 years and I have a lot of hours on the seat.

I'm not sure what size utility tractor I'd need. I suppose, like when you build something, it's always better to go a little bigger and avoid regret. My budget right now is not super high (hence the high-hour one I linked to). But I may have to alter that if I can't find what I need cheaply.

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
If your looking at "high hour" tractors, one thing to factor in is "How mechanically inclined are you?"

For instance, If the something semi-major happens, are you totally screwed, or would it just be an inconvenience?

As with most things, the older/more hours they have, the more likely they are to give you grief.
Fair question. I'm moderately mechanical. I do most of my own mechanical work on my vehicles and motorcycles. Major stuff I can't really do. For instance, my Ferguson has to be split to have the governor repaired and I would never do that.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Fair question. I'm moderately mechanical. I do most of my own mechanical work on my vehicles and motorcycles. Major stuff I can't really do. For instance, my Ferguson has to be split to have the governor repaired and I would never do that.
2005 diesel vs 1955 gas engine. Lots less engine maintainence. That alone is a plus.

At 4k hours my biggest concern would be engine and transmission. Test drive the tractor. If the transmission/PTO operates smoothly in all speed ranges and the engine does not havve excessive blowby or loss of power its priced right. If your usage is 100 hours per year lots of life left. If 1000 hours per year not so much. Regardless any semi-major repair is several thousand dollars....

Dan

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You mention you are moderately mechanical. I realize that is a subjective statement, but you do mechanical work on various equipment.

Have you ever thought about what is involved with splitting a Ferguson? It is really like any mechanical item. You remove what needs to be removed, fix the faulty part and put back together. If you don't have room, or don't have or want to get tools, then that's one thing, but if you just talk yourself out of it because it's different and you're not up to the challenge I would definitely suggest you focus on a newer tractor with as few hours as you can afford.

Quit talking yourself out of what you THINK you can't do!!!!

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
You mention you are moderately mechanical. I realize that is a subjective statement, but you do mechanical work on various equipment.

Have you ever thought about what is involved with splitting a Ferguson? It is really like any mechanical item. You remove what needs to be removed, fix the faulty part and put back together. If you don't have room, or don't have or want to get tools, then that's one thing, but if you just talk yourself out of it because it's different and you're not up to the challenge I would definitely suggest you focus on a newer tractor with as few hours as you can afford.

Quit talking yourself out of what you THINK you can't do!!!!
That's true. I'm mostly just skeered to try. Another major problem is time. I simply don't have the hours to get things like that done. I agree that maybe I need to focus on something newer. I'm not one of those guys who enjoys wrenching. I do it when I need to and I don't look forward to it. However, if that's the case, then I'll have to wait until I can fork out $15k-$20k on a newer one.

Here's one with fewer hours but a little older (made from '98 to '02)

Reactions: 1 users

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
2005 diesel vs 1955 gas engine. Lots less engine maintainence. That alone is a plus.

At 4k hours my biggest concern would be engine and transmission. Test drive the tractor. If the transmission/PTO operates smoothly in all speed ranges and the engine does not havve excessive blowby or loss of power its priced right. If your usage is 100 hours per year lots of life left. If 1000 hours per year not so much. Regardless any semi-major repair is several thousand dollars....

Dan
Ok. Good to know. It's probably much closer to 100 hours.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
You kinda lost me on this one. (Also, I can't tell if you're being ironic by saying that attention to detail isn't my strength right after you capitalized the 2nd letter in kAbota instead of the first.)
in your first post you spelled Kubota kabota, so just a pet peeve of mikester exposed there I would imagine.
Well, like a lot of guys I've probably actually spent too much time thinking about it. The main thing would be moving snow. Sometimes it's just too much for the Ferguson and sometimes it would be really nice to be able to move a big pile without high speed ramming it. I don't have a bucket. I also can't plow uphill which would be nice. There have been a few storms where the Ferguson just couldn't do it and I had to call someone. I do get it done 90+% of the time though. It just seems to beat up on the old tractor because I often have to use momentum when I simply don't have the traction.

One of the main things I'd like to be able to do is go anywhere I need on my land in the winter. In NW Wisconsin we can get a lot of snow and sometimes I'm bound to the few areas I've plowed with the the Ferguson. A couple winters ago I had to retrieve a vehicle from behind my shed and tried to pull it out with my Ferguson in 2 feet of snow. I nearly destroyed the tractor and the vehicle in the process. Had my neighbor come over with his 4WD tractor. We hooked the chain up and he just walked it out no sweat.

Also, I've been seriously considering getting cattle again and I feed out round bales in the pasture (helps the pasture a ton). There were some winters when this wasn't even possible. It would also be nice to be able to lift the bales up without pushing the limits of the tractor and also stack them with the loader.

I also have ruts and erosion that I would like to fix, dirt/gravel/sand to move, sheds to straighten, heavy things to lift into the loft, and probably a bunch of things I don't even know about 'till I buy one.

Field work (I don't do a ton, but a little here and there) and maybe brush hogging will be done with the gear-drive Ferguson. It was born for that. I've had it here on my 50 acre hobby farm for almost 20 years and I have a lot of hours on the seat.

I'm not sure what size utility tractor I'd need. I suppose, like when you build something, it's always better to go a little bigger and avoid regret. My budget right now is not super high (hence the high-hour one I linked to). But I may have to alter that if I can't find what I need cheaply.
Just a heads up without chains you probably won’t be plowing snow uphill with an 4x4 either. If your surface is paved that may cause issues.

pfettig77

Equipment
Ferguson F40
Oct 22, 2024
in your first post you spelled Kubota kabota, so just a pet peeve of mikester exposed there I would imagine.

Just a heads up without chains you probably won’t be plowing snow uphill with an 4x4 either. If your surface is paved that may cause issues.
Duly noted.