Instrument gauge screen total black out!

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Instrument screen will not light up.

I have a L3240HST. Bought in Louisiana about 1990….?

I ran it out of diesel on a steep hill. No bfd, done it many times before. Dumped 5 gallons in it but now it will not turn over to bleed out the injectors or start.

The odd thing is the screen is now blacked out, no lights on in the dash.

I have load tested the battery, strong and holding at 13.6 volts. I replaced the positive battery cable and cleaned the negative battery cable connection. Replaced the ignition switch assembly with an OEM unit from Kubota. Inspected the safety cut off switches at the clutch, HST switch, driver seat, neutral shift and PTO switch. However, I have not put an electric meter or ohm meter on any of them yet.

Can you test those safety cut out switches? Are they an always “on”switch or are they an “open” switch to disable starting the engine, and then are they closed to allow engine starting?

I was able to get the starter spinning the engine over fast by jumping the connection to the solenoid wire. So the battery, cables and starter are good. Just no start off the new ignition switch and the gauges are all dead, zero lights.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

I have included am image of the new Kubota ignition switch showing and unused plug. Same as on the old one taken off. Any idea why?
IMG_5893.jpeg

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
The safety interlock switches have nothing to do with the dash. You need to start focusing on why the dash itself isn't powered. You find out why the dash isn't powered and it'll probably fix your starting issue.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. new switch vs old.....

Maybe the 4 wires you've connected to the switch aren't in the correct positions ???
Not trying to be 'funny' BUT I KNOW that INDAK switches for some JD stuff is internally different than 'normal' INDAK switches.

Hopefully you have the wiring diagram from the WSM and can CONFIRM the correct colour wire is on the correct pin of the switch. Make a drawing and test each switch pin for it's function.

It could be you've got them 'one off', like the wrong plug wires on a distributor cap...BTDT.....