I'll take all the help I can get!

mzaino

Equipment
MX6000
Oct 25, 2024
York, SC
Newbie here and I'm not afraid to admit I don't know what I don't know.

I've been doing a lot of research in mid-size hydrostatic tractors in the 50 to 60 horsepower range. Pretty sure I've settled on the MX6000 over the MX5400. I've got a phenomenal dealer, two actually, within 45 minutes. I haven't purchased yet, but one dealer is giving me the MX6000 for less ($48,600) than the other dealer quoted me for the MX5400 ($52,100). These are both base model tractors with a loader, so I want to add a 4-in-1 bucket, a third function, and at least one remote. So my questions are as follows:
Do I need more than one remote?
I will be mostly brush clearing, finish mowing, tilling a small plot, doing some light loader work, and will probably need to install a fence around my 35 acres of gently rolling and terraced pasture with a 4-acre pond.

I didn't want to purchase a tractor that was too small, so that's why I'm thinking it the MX6000, along with the price from this dealer.

How important is a hydraulic top link?

Do I need to add things like side mirrors, a leveling rod, rear work lights, liquid-filled tires, cast iron wheels, rear defroster and rear windshield wiper, and is it worth it to upgrade to an air suspension seat with armrests?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Cannot comment on that large of a tractor - I play with the "little ones"

IF I was buying that machine - I would ask THEM to fill the tires for you for free!!!!!!! AND they will do it if that sale is pending on it.

AND if I was to spend that amount on the tractor = I would get the suspension seat in a heartbeat!!!! YOUR back will love you for it later!

I would also get the hydraulic top link too.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I will be mostly brush clearing, finish mowing, tilling a small plot, doing some light loader work, and will probably need to install a fence around my 35 acres of gently rolling and terraced pasture with a 4-acre pond.

I didn't want to purchase a tractor that was too small, so that's why I'm thinking it the MX6000, along with the price from this dealer.

Do I need to add things like side mirrors, a leveling rod, rear work lights, liquid-filled tires, cast iron wheels, rear defroster and rear windshield wiper, and is it worth it to upgrade to an air suspension seat with armrests?

I'm assuming this is an open station model at that price? Oh duh! You mention mirrors and rear glass so it's a cab model. Wow ... that seems like a great price for an MX6000 cab tractor with a loader.

I'm on my second MX6000 and I think they're excellent tractors. I had an open station model for a year, but upgraded to the cab version almost three years ago now. I have the Grammer air ride seat which is well worth it, as is top-n-tilt. I use all three rear remotes running a flail with hydraulic offset, and in the winter a rear snow blower with hydraulic chute rotation and deflector, along with a float detent for the hydraulic cylinder on the lower link to allow the blower to float left and right as the terrain changes. Top-n-tilt needs two remotes, but you never know when a third is useful and it's cheaper to order them when you buy the tractor if the dealer can include them with the order.

Don't forget a third function for a grapple, post hole digger, hydraulic angle snow blade etc.

I opted for side mirrors, the loader leveling rod, rear work lights, beet juice in the rear tires, three sets of wheels weights, rear defroster and wiper, and draft control. I added the right side door hardware a few months ago for around $300. It's a really nice upgrade that makes a big difference to owning and using the tractor.

I don't think anyone buys an MX6000 and regrets it. They are a utility tractor and the layout of the controls for the rear remotes could be more ergonomic like my M6060 or the L6060, but it's ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would check with the dealer who's telling you $48k for an MX6000HSTC with loader. That's more in line with the cost of an MX6000HST (open station), but heck, if it's legit that's a really great price.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When I bought my MX6000 in December 2021, I asked the dealer to throw in arm rests on the seat, filled rear tires, and welding hooks on the bucket. Do yourself a favor and get dealer installed 3 rear remotes before you take delivery along with a hydraulic top link. I regretted not doing this and had that done this past summer at a higher cost than doing it before buying. The hydraulic top link and tilt makes rear implements much more productive, along with simplifying attaching implements. Also I recommend the bucket level indicator. Every time I use the machine I’m impressed and have no regrets in my choice. For me, it’s the perfect size and capability, especially the stability of the machine.

Reactions: 1 users

mzaino

Equipment
MX6000
Oct 25, 2024
York, SC
Cannot comment on that large of a tractor - I play with the "little ones"

IF I was buying that machine - I would ask THEM to fill the tires for you for free!!!!!!! AND they will do it if that sale is pending on it.

AND if I was to spend that amount on the tractor = I would get the suspension seat in a heartbeat!!!! YOUR back will love you for it later!

I would also get the hydraulic top link too.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What exactly does that hydraulic top link do?

If you have a box blade - it will allow you to take a larger bite or less of a bite when moving soil/gravel etc.

Same with a scraper blade.

Changes the angle of the 3 point to a desired place.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Newbie here and I'm not afraid to admit I don't know what I don't know.

I've been doing a lot of research in mid-size hydrostatic tractors in the 50 to 60 horsepower range. Pretty sure I've settled on the MX6000 over the MX5400. I've got a phenomenal dealer, two actually, within 45 minutes. I haven't purchased yet, but one dealer is giving me the MX6000 for less ($48,600) than the other dealer quoted me for the MX5400 ($52,100). These are both base model tractors with a loader, so I want to add a 4-in-1 bucket, a third function, and at least one remote. So my questions are as follows:

Good day.

I think you have already gotten some solid advice.

Just a couple thoughts from me on your Qs?

Re rear remote: IMO they give you options. If you plan to run a rear blade that uses hydraulics or a large cutter, or an offset attachment(s) for different tasks wood splitter, offset mower for around pond where maybe you don’t want your tires at waters affect of the pond. etc, if so, then I think multiple remotes makes sense to get with your purchase.

RE top link: I don’t know myself but it is on my list for future upgrades. I have a feeling that it’s one of those items that might be a game changer and I’ll wonder why I did not do to begin with and maybe with that no need for a QH? I wanted to see and demo one and dealer did not have one for me to try so I did not cough up the coin. Maybe ask if you dealer has one you can try on the lot and try one with and without hooking something up and articulating it with the hydraulics. Then you will know. I also was not sure how convenient it would be with BH coming on and off….if at all possible try setup on same or similar machine if they would allow that.

Regarding your options: I think the answer is YES. However maybe check on the cast wheels…those were not available a few years ago on the MX. I think you had to step up to a utility tractor (M), but maybe that has changed. If those were an option i would have taken them. The MX is basically helpless with out proper tire/wheel & rear ballast IMO. I have filled tires, wheel weights and still use an implement off the back for rear ballast if doing heavy loader work.

Anyway those were my thoughts. I hope it helped. Good luck. ☕

Reactions: 2 users

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If I known what I do now about the MX line, here’s what I would have done if buying new; Loaded tires, 3 sets of wheel weights, wheels set wide, 3 remotes for top and tilt with one extra. Saying all that, this is how my tractor is setup but I did it after the fact, which cost be a little bit more money.

4-1 buckets are very heavy, takes away from what you can pickup. A regular bucket with tooth bar and a grapple are in my eyes a better option.

Look into a heavy rear implement if doing loader work, with all my weight and a 780# box blade I can lift a rear tire at will. My 900# tiller makes all the difference.

Here is an extreme example of a hydraulic top link. But shows what it will do. Fully extended vs. fully retracted.
IMG_2506.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

mzaino

Equipment
MX6000
Oct 25, 2024
York, SC
If I known what I do now about the MX line, here’s what I would have done if buying new; Loaded tires, 3 sets of wheel weights, wheels set wide, 3 remotes for top and tilt with one extra. Saying all that, this is how my tractor is setup but I did it after the fact, which cost be a little bit more money.

4-1 buckets are very heavy, takes away from what you can pickup. A regular bucket with tooth bar and a grapple are in my eyes a better option.

Look into a heavy rear implement if doing loader work, with all my weight and a 780# box blade I can lift a rear tire at will. My 900# tiller makes all the difference.

Here is an extreme example of a hydraulic top link. But shows what it will do. Fully extended vs. fully retracted.
View attachment 140561

View attachment 140562
Man I appreciate the visual! That makes it make so much more sense.

So are you saying you would have gotten a bigger / heavier tractor? I know you never want to get one too small, but I can't imagine needing anything bigger / heavier in a pasture?

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

So are you saying you would have gotten a bigger / heavier tractor? I know you never want to get one too small, but I can't imagine needing anything bigger / heavier in a pasture?
I have the side link as well, just not installed in that picture. It does the same, just on a different plane.

I had an LX2610 for about a year before selling and stepping up to an MX. I thought the MX was HUGE at first, now I could easily work with an M. Although I wouldn’t have anywhere to park it covered.

If you have the space and the funds, buy the bigger tractor. Unless you absolutely need HST. I feel the MX punches above its weight class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Good day.

I realize you did not ask…but if you question size, if you are on the fence, now is the time to think long and hard about which transmission you want/need.

When I purchased MX the deciding factor was HST for safety and ease of use for spousal unit to also be able to operate (with a manual transmission it’d be like watching ‘Crawl’ from son in law drive equipment.).

If not for that consideration I would have opted for an M. That being said I do think HST is the way to go if using a loader a lot or delicate / finesse type work. It be interesting how using forks works with an M. I use forks all the time and MX the tires are so big and in the way hard to see the forks…but at least is has HST so it’s easy to creep up…same deal for backing up to implement. Maybe ask some specific question the the M’ers on here. I am sure an M is a great machine , and i will very well end up with one. HST was still correct decision for my situation/users.

IMO the M is a bit of a different animal from size and weight and capabilities. There are certainly lots of Ms used in pastures. The HP may not seem like so much on the numbers but it’s a lot more machine IMO, and that’s not bad either. Good luck with your consideration and purchase. 🥃

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you have a box blade - it will allow you to take a larger bite or less of a bite when moving soil/gravel etc.

In addition to your point, I find that the two most useful aspects of an hydraulic top link are as follows:

1. The ability to raise the rear of a long implement to help getting on/off a trailer e.g. 7ft rotary cutter.
  2. The ability to move a QuickHitch top hook to pick up or drop off an implement (even better with hydraulic side link).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
IMO the M is a bit of a different animal from size and weight and capabilities. The HP may not seem like so much on the numbers but it’s a lot more machine IMO, and that’s not bad either. Good luck with your consideration and purchase. 🥃
As someone who owns and operates both an MX6000 and an M6060 I would absolutely agree with your assessment. Both are very capable tractors, but it's a big jump up to even the entry level M in the form of an M6060/M7060/M4. I'm really lucky to have both since they excel at different tasks, but if I had to sell one today, it'd be the MX for sure.

One more point re the MX6000 and M tractors is that the MX is maxed out in terms of the V2400 engine and available hp. That's not the case for the V3300 engine or bigger. There's a lot of room for upgrades if so desired, and it's not hard to get 90hp out of an M6060/M7060. My point here is that if an MX turns out to not be enough tractor there isn't anywhere to go. If you find out that an M6060 or M7060 is lacking in power for your specific tasks, there are some good options to get there without upgrading the tractor and without the need for DEF.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

It also works for a rear blade, and other implements besides a box blade. And makes implement installation much easier.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Here is the side link at both extremes. 3 point is fully raised in both pictures. Worth noting, I moved the manual link over to the left and set it sorta in the middle, if needed I could lengthen or shorten for even move angle either way.

IMG_6246.jpeg

IMG_6247.jpeg

IMG_6248.jpeg

mzaino

Equipment
MX6000
Oct 25, 2024
York, SC
In addition to your point, I find that the two most useful aspects of an hydraulic top link are as follows:

1. The ability to raise the rear of a long implement to help getting on/off a trailer e.g. 7ft rotary cutter.
  2. The ability to move a QuickHitch top hook to pick up or drop off an implement (even better with hydraulic side link).
That makes a lot of sense

mzaino

Equipment
MX6000
Oct 25, 2024
York, SC
When I bought my MX6000 in December 2021, I asked the dealer to throw in arm rests on the seat, filled rear tires, and welding hooks on the bucket. Do yourself a favor and get dealer installed 3 rear remotes before you take delivery along with a hydraulic top link. I regretted not doing this and had that done this past summer at a higher cost than doing it before buying. The hydraulic top link and tilt makes rear implements much more productive, along with simplifying attaching implements. Also I recommend the bucket level indicator. Every time I use the machine I’m impressed and have no regrets in my choice. For me, it’s the perfect size and capability, especially the stability of the machine.
What do you use the hooks you had welded to the bucket for?