Idea for a lawn roller

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a roller I made out of a 100# propane tank. It's...okay. However, even full of water there just isn't much weight there.

I ripped out two Blue Spruce trees and of course there's not enough dirt to go back in the hole where the stumps were. I ran the tractor back and forth over it multiple times and packed it as well as I could but the Ag tires leave a really rough surface and even being careful to overlap the tracks, the dirt squishes out on the sides of the tires and leaves ridges.

Back-dragging it with the bucket leaves it smooth, but pulls a bunch of dirt out of the hole.

So what I'm thinking is, attach the roller to a QA plate in such a way that when I tilt the bucket arms all the way forward the QA plate is parallel to the ground and the roller is 90° to the plate. Then I can use the power down of the loader arms to pick the front of the tractor up, putting 1/2 the weight of the tractor on the roller. Steering would be non-existent but if things get too far off course I can pick the roller up make corrections and set it back down.

See any flaws in this idea?

roller.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Bear in mind that's a rough sketch. I'd shorten the arms and gusset them.

Another question is, should I position the roller near the bottom of the plate, or in the middle?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like a good idea.

The only flaw I can think of is you’d be running loader curl cylinders fully extended. They are more apt to bend the rods in that fashion.

Your B has two curl cylinders which helps, but it’s something to be mindful of.

Could you design it such that it would work without fully-extended curl cylinders? Just a thought….

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
drain the water out of the 'roller' onto the dirt in the holes.....
fill 'roller' with concrete, it'll be weighty then

FYI you add 12" of dirt, water it well, then repeat as required. dumping 3' of dirt and packing it once never works.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Instead of filling the roller with concrete, fill it with sand and then add water. It will be plenty heavy then.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
By your description it sounds like you need more dirt, then just keep using the heel of you bucket to level it and pack it a bit..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
or fill then drive front wheels onto it.keep adding buckets to fill the tire tracks
that's what I did today once I got a Black walnut stump out. no water,no roller
I know it'll settle down maybe 4-5 inches but client was happy.