I need help with a the purchase of a new Tractor

Jack straw

Apr 7, 2013
Upstate NY
Newbie here:
I am sorry if this question is asked on a weekly basis here, but I need some advice from the experts. I have 22 acres of sometimes swamp like land (heavy wet clay). 1/2 my land is woods and I cut about 5 cord of wood a year. I also bush hog about 5 acres. I have a long driveway that gets beat up when I plow snow. I would like to have a backhoe sometime in the future to improve the drainage on my property.
Kubota is the only tractor line that I am looking at now (I have a ZG20 ) I am considering the L3200, L3800 or one of the Grand series (L3240?). I am 48 and I would like this to be my first and last new tractor. My budget is under $25k.

Attachments I would like to get:
Loader
Box scraper
5' rotary mower

I think the 3200 would probably do everything that I need to do. My main workhorse now is a Honda Foreman. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for such a great forum.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The L3200 will do all you need, but you might want fancier or larger.

I have a much large place here and my L3800 has been fantastic!!!

Last edited:

MaTeR

Equipment
shopping
Apr 8, 2013
Northern Michigan
I have 26 wooded acres and am mere hours away from pulling the trigger on a L3800HST with bucket,tooth bar,filled rear Ag's,6ft box blade,6ft land rake,and 6ft brush hog.Package price is 22,225 to my door.It was only 1,050 more for me to go with the L3800 vs L3200.I feel both would serve our(your) needs just fine.I'll let you know:)

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have 5.6 hours on my L3800 now. I've never owned a real tractor. But I knew what I wanted and waited for years to finally buy the tractor I wanted. I've bush hogged and bucketed and can't wait to use it more. I looked at the B series , but I think like buying a truck, get more engine not less because you always need more power at some point. I plan on loading and unloading freight with my tractor. I got the pallet forks also. So go bigger...

WS6Man

Equipment
L3800
Feb 11, 2013
Norwalk, OH, Erie
Where Dealer did you purchase from? I am looking to buy an L3800HST myself and that seems like a great pkg deal. I was quoted that same price for the 6"finish mower and loader/bucket. I am in norther Ohio so it may be worth making a road trip!

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I have the L3200HST, plenty of power to do what I need to do with it as I loose traction first, rather than run out of horsepower. I have never used the PTO, it is used as a loader, grader, etc.

However, that said, if I were to use it to mow, I would have bought the L3800HST as PTO horsepower is much more important mowing.

Or a L grand series...

David

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
There is certainly nothing wrong with the L3800, but I personally prefer the Grand L, it has a more open, flat operator platform, tilt steering, extending lower lift links, more weight, swivel seat, great cruise control you can use wit the steering brakes going forward, independent PTO and the HST+ transmission. It is however more expensive than the L Series, but you are only buying once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzO_-LCd838

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
There is certainly nothing wrong with the L3800, but I personally prefer the Grand L, it has a more open, flat operator platform, tilt steering, extending lower lift links, more weight, swivel seat, great cruise control you can use wit the steering brakes going forward, independent PTO and the HST+ transmission. It is however more expensive than the L Series, but you are only buying once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzO_-LCd838
Thanks for the link TripleR, now I want a Grand L with the HST plus. Makes my L3200HST seem almost mideval!

David

MaTeR

Equipment
shopping
Apr 8, 2013
Northern Michigan
Eric,
Yes,Barlows is in Kentucky and is gonna deliver here in Michigan.I heard about them on another site and have heard of people as far Montana buying from them.My package price includes delivery,where as my local dealer was asking $19,000 for just the tractor and loader.
Go to their website,fill out the form stating what exactly you want and what you would like to pay as well as delivery.They will get back with you and tell you what they can let it go for.In my case we were within $500.Hope this helps.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks for the link TripleR, now I want a Grand L with the HST plus. Makes my L3200HST seem almost mideval!

David
I know what you mean, I had a Grand L5030 HSTC and was really happy with it and a bit skeptical of the benefits of the HST+. Because of the discontinuation of the L40 and intro of the L60, I traded for the L5740 much sooner than intended. It didn't take me long to really appreciate the added features.

A regular HST will still do anything anyone really needs done, but an HST+ just makes it a little easier and quicker; course there is that whole $$$$ thing.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Eric,
Yes,Barlows is in Kentucky and is gonna deliver here in Michigan.I heard about them on another site and have heard of people as far Montana buying from them.My package price includes delivery,where as my local dealer was asking $19,000 for just the tractor and loader.
Go to their website,fill out the form stating what exactly you want and what you would like to pay as well as delivery.They will get back with you and tell you what they can let it go for.In my case we were within $500.Hope this helps.

Well thats pretty awesome. I guess they look at it as a sale is a sale and as long as the money is good why not venture out and deliver where ever.