Hydraulic Valve manufacture and model recommendations

Rutland

Equipment
L3901, Grasshopper 725D
Nov 26, 2021
Looking to add rear remotes on my L3901 using a after market valve. I have read while looking into tnt the valve is what leaks not the cylinder. Who makes quality valves that will not leak? The common ones I have seen such as wolverine, summit, prince SV, or others on surplus center seem to all have reviews or posts that they leak. Galtech and Bucher seem to be quality, but I have not found any posts of people using them.

Reactions: 1 user

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Bucher is one of the better ones, and you can build the 'stack' as you need it, or even add to it in the future.

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Looking to add rear remotes on my L3901 using a after market valve. I have read while looking into tnt the valve is what leaks not the cylinder. Who makes quality valves that will not leak? The common ones I have seen such as wolverine, summit, prince SV, or others on surplus center seem to all have reviews or posts that they leak. Galtech and Bucher seem to be quality, but I have not found any posts of people using them.
Got a 3 spool valve with joystick from China a couple of years ago, works well, doesn't leak. I don't know if the spools are hard chrome or the o-rings buna-N, it has load check, can provide more info if you aren't afraid of buying from a different continent :)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I purchased my rear remote system from FitRite Hydraulics and the valves are Bucher. I have had no trouble with them at all. But I have not had them all that long so can’t really say anything about their life span but they are very good quality.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
All valves are going to leak - its just a question of how fast.

If you dont need float a DPOCV will eliminate it. I have a Summit valve with DPOCV outlets on this machine and the top link will hold for weeks if not longer. Without the DPOCV it leaks down in minutes.

Dan

1000002869.jpg

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I have been selling Bucher valves for over 12 years, and not a single excessive leak-down issue.
As mentioned, all valves are going to leak down. It is when there is excessive internal leakage is when there is an issue.
Now what is considered excessive? :unsure: My definition is when you have to constantly readjust the cylinder that hinders operating the tractor. If the rod extends on its own fast enough that you can't mow (as an example) without constantly readjusting, then there is an issue.
I feel that if an adjustment has to be made often enough that you need to be paying attention to that vs doing the task at hand, then it is excessive.
These amounts vary depending on circumstances and a person needs to be realistic about this. They do not hold forever.
Another example is your loader bucket, how often does it need to be readjusted? How often for lift, how often for tilt?
One of the sad things about this issue is that Kubota has one of the best, if not the best loader valves. Leak down is very seldom excessive. But the rear remote valves have to be the worst used in the industry where the leak down is an issue more than it is not.

All the different valves that I am aware of basically tell you it is what it is, and if there is an issue it is still within spec. And this is true, if the Bucher valves that I sell leaked as bad as what is within their specs, I would not sell them. The thing is, they don't.

Good luck with your decision. :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Looking to add rear remotes on my L3901 using a after market valve. I have read while looking into tnt the valve is what leaks not the cylinder. Who makes quality valves that will not leak? The common ones I have seen such as wolverine, summit, prince SV, or others on surplus center seem to all have reviews or posts that they leak. Galtech and Bucher seem to be quality, but I have not found any posts of peop0le using them.
I will give you a couple more data points.

I just configured a two spool 12 GPM Bucher sectional valve with power beyond from Trausch . Both work sections are DA spring center and no float. Cost delivered to my shop is $453.

The same configuration delivered with a Summit monoblock and two DPOCV mounting blocks like the ones in the picture below (less the couplers) is $298.

I dont know how long the Bucher valves might hold that mower but I can say from personal experience the Summit valve will, for all practical purposes, hold it there FOREVER.

Dan

1000003015.jpg

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I will give you a couple more data points.

I just configured a two spool 12 GPM Bucher sectional valve with power beyond from Trausch . Both work sections are DA spring center and no float. Cost delivered to my shop is $453.

The same configuration delivered with a Summit monoblock and two DPOCV mounting blocks like the ones in the picture below (less the couplers) is $298.

I dont know how long the Bucher valves might hold that mower but I can say from personal experience the Summit valve will, for all practical purposes, hold it there FOREVER.

Dan

View attachment 131350
Get rid of your check valves and see how long they hold. Pretty much any valve where check valves are used will hold. Now let's see how well your system works if you want-need to use float mode.
Oh wait, you can't, because you don't have that feature.

Let's compare apples to apples, shall we. ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Get rid of your check valves and see how long they hold. Pretty much any valve where check valves are used will hold. Now let's see how well your system works if you want-need to use float mode.
Oh wait, you can't, because you don't have that feature.

Let's compare apples to apples, shall we. ;)
I know how long the Summit valve will hold without the checks. As I posted esrlier in this thread not long and I found it unacceptable.

But with the check valves which also provide a very neat and modular outlet mounting system it holds with ZERO leakdown.

For my purposes the only advantsge of a Bucher sectional valve would be the ability to add more sections in the future and that convenience comes at the added cost of $200.

I like the Bucher vslves and have places where they make sense but this isn't one.

Dan

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I know how long the Summit valve will hold without the checks. As I posted esrlier in this thread not long and I found it unacceptable.

But with the check valves which also provide a very neat and modular outlet mounting system it holds with ZERO leakdown.

For my purposes the only advantsge of a Bucher sectional valve would be the ability to add more sections in the future and that convenience comes at the added cost of $200.

I like the Bucher vslves and have places where they make sense but this isn't one.

Dan
I agree, for what your application& circumstances are, the Summit valves have been a good solution for you. (y)

Reactions: 1 users

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Thats exactly what I am trying to convey to the OP. :)

Dan
I'm sorry, I missed what it was that the OP has intended other than it looks like he wants to have a T&T set.

Do you know what all it is that he is going to use said T&T set for?

I personally use float with my side link just about every time that I do some grading. You can't beat it for final smoothing, specifically when the grade changes from one drive to another.
I have customers that mow banks, up & down. The small amount of articulation the mowers have built in is simply not enough, so they need to have the top link be able to float.

Again, I'm not saying that what you have is not ideal for you and your circumstances and that you saved money using what you have used. But unless you happen to know exactly what the OP has in mind for his usage, I don't understand how you can say that what you have is good for his set of circumstances.

It may or may not be the case.

OP needs to provide additional info to get more accurate responses IMO. :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm sorry, I missed what it was that the OP has intended other than it looks like he wants to have a T&T set.

Do you know what all it is that he is going to use said T&T set for?

I personally use float with my side link just about every time that I do some grading. You can't beat it for final smoothing, specifically when the grade changes from one drive to another.
I have customers that mow banks, up & down. The small amount of articulation the mowers have built in is simply not enough, so they need to have the top link be able to float.

Again, I'm not saying that what you have is not ideal for you and your circumstances and that you saved money using what you have used. But unless you happen to know exactly what the OP has in mind for his usage, I don't understand how you can say that what you have is good for his set of circumstances.

It may or may not be the case.

OP needs to provide additional info to get more accurate responses IMO. :)
The OP says he is "adding rear remotes" and seems to be in the investigative phase. He did not provide any insight into what he intends to do with them or what he actually wants/needs operationally.

His first question got him an earfull on the issue of spool leakage and if he follows up he will likely get another earfull on the value of being able to float one or more cylinders :)

If things cool down a bit I will try to plumb one of the Bucher valves I have here into the second set of outlets on my tractor and get an actual measured leakdown time for it. :unsure:

Dan

Rutland

Equipment
L3901, Grasshopper 725D
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks everyone for the replies and links. Sorry it was not clear in the original post, I do intend on using float for the top link, hence the concern of leak down. A floating side link is new to me, but it does look useful and for the little extra now seems looks worth it. Though I am not planning on using a double pilot valve I do like the hose management better. The intent is four spools, two always connected to the top and tilt, and another two for attachments for lift and tilt/angle.

I am not as concerned about valve leakage on the top, link unless it was really bad. I just dont want to think my implement is level and then find out later its sagging if the side link drops. Could a needle valve be used to turn off the flow on a side link when not in use if a valve did have excessive leaking? The cylinder hoses could also always just unplug it when not needed as well I guess.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks everyone for the replies and links. Sorry it was not clear in the original post, I do intend on using float for the top link, hence the concern of leak down. A floating side link is new to me, but it does look useful and for the little extra now seems looks worth it. Though I am not planning on using a double pilot valve I do like the hose management better. The intent is four spools, two always connected to the top and tilt, and another two for attachments for lift and tilt/angle.

I am not as concerned about valve leakage on the top, link unless it was really bad. I just dont want to think my implement is level and then find out later its sagging if the side link drops. Could a needle valve be used to turn off the flow on a side link when not in use if a valve did have excessive leaking? The cylinder hoses could also always just unplug it when not needed as well I guess.
Any sort of valve capable of ~4000 PSI can be used to lock the cylinders.

I am not clear on how you plan on using two spools for each cylinder.

Dan