Hydraulic/Trans Oil Fill For L2550 & Drain Plug Question

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Kubota B8200 with rc60-82h mower deck, Kubota L2550D
Sep 18, 2023
I just picked up a Kubota L2550 column shift with loader. The owners manual shows two different caps to add hydraulic fluid. One is above the transmission (between the foot rests) and the second is behind the seat at the of top of housing where the 3 point arms are hinged. Are both of these one in the same...in other words if you add oil to one does it also adds to the other? My owners manual does not specify whether "either or" is an option to refill both at the same time. I have a site guage on the left side of the transmission near the clutch and need to add fluid to get it up to normal level.

Also, on the underside of tractor under the clutch area (just behind the engine) there is a drain plug with a little silver ball that is slowly dripping oil. The ball is part of the drain plug and can be pushed up and down but will drip oil when left alone. If I replace the plug is this also part of the hydraulic system? What's the purpose of the ball?

Any help will be appreciated.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The plug is to drain water and stuff from the bell housing area. I thought that Kubota used a cotter pin up through the hole in the plug so perhaps you are seeing the round eye end of a cotter pin?

As (as far as I know) the same sump is filled by both of the fill ports.

EDIT=correct “the h” to “the hole”

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the fill point both end up in the same place.

That is called a split pin drain.
Having hydraulic fluid leaking from there is not good.
You will need to split it to get to the seals in there.
DO NOT put a non draining plug in place or you'll just fill the clutch housing with oil and damage the clutch.

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Sep 18, 2023
The plug is to drain water and stuff from the bell housing area. I thought that Kubota used a cotter pin up through the h in the plug so perhaps you are seeing the round eye end of a cotter pin?

As (as far as I know) the same sump is filled by both of the fill ports.
Thanks for your information

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Sep 18, 2023
Yes the fill point both end up in the same place.

That is called a split pin drain.
Having hydraulic fluid leaking from there is not good.
You will need to split it to get to the seals in there.
DO NOT put a non draining plug in place or you'll just fill the clutch housing with oil and damage the clutch.
Thanks for your reply....I intend to install the same type of plug from Kubota. When I remove the plug I assume lots of oil will drain out?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The split pin drain shouldn’t leak anything in the ideal world when removed. The area that plug (it’s not really a plug but a drain) is located shouldn’t have oil or water in it but can build up both due to condensation and seal leaks.

That drain is designed to leak stuff out if it gets in there so the clutch, etc. don’t get wet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for your reply....I intend to install the same type of plug from Kubota. When I remove the plug I assume lots of oil will drain out?
Yea like RCW said, no need to change the plug / drain as it's working perfectly.
It's seals / gaskets inside there that aren't working.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The original design of that opening was to let water drain out when the tractor was used in rice paddies. The loose cotter pin was to keep thing from going in the bell housing.

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Sep 18, 2023
The split pin drain shouldn’t leak anything in the ideal world when removed. The area that plug (it’s not really a plug but a drain) is located shouldn’t have oil or water in it but can build up both due to condensation and seal leaks.

That drain is designed to leak stuff out if it gets in there so the clutch, etc. don’t get wet.
Thanks for your help.