Hydraulic Fluid Level & leaking grappler L2502

KrisA

Equipment
Kubota L2502, Grappler, Fork Lyft, Skid Loader, Brusch Hog, Tiller, Box Blade
May 1, 2024
Tellico Plains TN
Hi, everyone. I want to start by saying I am brand new to a tractor. So if my questions are a bit stupid I apologize in advance.

I have a grappler, and I was cleaning out some brush when I suddenly noticed something coming out from the front of the tractor. I thought it was smoke, but it wasn't. I had hydraulic fluid spraying all over the place. I then suddenly lost the ability to back up or go forward. Yep, low on fluid. I realized it only sprayed fluid when I pressed the button to close the grappler. and it appears to be coming from the hoses on the actual grappler. I'm unsure if it's the hose or a loose fitting.

What are your thoughts here, and how can I figure this out? What should I do? Should I just try to tighten the bolts, reconnect, and look for spraying, or is there a better way?

I shut off the tractor, put in some hydraulic fluid, and got it going again to park it. The dipstick is between my legs. The issue I am having is that the hydraulic fluid appears to be clear, so I am having a heck of a time seeing where it is filled. In addition, there is no Hot/cold marking or anything that says Hot/Cold. I assume the first line is cold. Is that correct? And is there a better, easier way to see if it's correctly filled?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please... it's a Grapple not Grappler ;)
This is not meant as an insult or an assault on your or your person, it's just a verbage thing.
This is a grappler, you don't have one of those attached to your loader do you? :ROFLMAO:

No hot or cold on the dipstick it's a high and low mark, Hydraulic fluid does not change volume with heat.

Use some degreaser like ornge cleaner and clean up the connections where you have fluid then short action of the grapple looking for the leaking location.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Maybe the 02's are different, but my 01 has a "sight glass" and yes, it's a PITA to see it clearly.

I put some of that JD hydraulic fluid dye in mine. Now its a snap to look and see the fluid level.

1714648074021.png

And just for the record, here is my favorite grappler..... :p

1714648367384.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What are your thoughts here, and how can I figure this out? What should I do? Should I just try to tighten the bolts, reconnect, and look for spraying, or is there a better way?

In addition, there is no Hot/cold marking or anything that says Hot/Cold. I assume the first line is cold. Is that correct? And is there a better, easier way to see if it's correctly filled?
Just clean it off with brake cleaner and looks for leaks.

It's worth mentioning: You should not stick your hand in there. High pressure streams of fluid can be dangerous. Stick a piece of cardboard in there if you are unsure. (That way you can see the spray hit the cardboard.)

I am sure I will get corrected if I am wrong, but I would rather have my Hyd. fluid level a little high vs. a little low. It's not like engine oil where you only want it "between" the marks.

Reactions: 1 user

KrisA

Equipment
Kubota L2502, Grappler, Fork Lyft, Skid Loader, Brusch Hog, Tiller, Box Blade
May 1, 2024
Tellico Plains TN
This is not meant as an insult or an assault on your or your person, it's just a verbage thing.
This is a grappler, you don't have one of those attached to your loader do you? :ROFLMAO:

No hot or cold on the dipstick it's a high and low mark, Hydraulic fluid does not change volume with heat.

Use some degreaser like ornge cleaner and clean up the connections where you have fluid then short action of the grapple looking for the leaking location.

Thanks for the correction :) I do have a grapple and not a grappler; however, after seeing this video, I want one. We have spread speed down the road here all time :00

Maybe the 02's are different, but my 01 has a "sight glass" and yes, it's a PITA to see it clearly.

I put some of that JD hydraulic fluid dye in mine. Now its a snap to look and see the fluid level.

View attachment 127425

And just for the record, here is my favorite grappler..... :p

View attachment 127426
Nice Grappler :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the correction :) I do have a grapple and not a grappler; however, after seeing this video, I want one. We have spread speed down the road here all time :00
Oh and checking the tightness of the connection is never a bad thing.
Just don't over tighten them.