Hydraulic cylinder repair help

MStroud

Equipment
Kubota L2600DT with LB402 loader
May 18, 2024
East Texas
We have a parity, my father-in-law’s Kubota L2600DT that’s approximately 25 years old. To say that this tractor abused was its former life would be an understatement. Recently, the loader hydraulic cylinders went from small drips and it was time to tackle them. The boom cylinder required new seals and is now fixed. However, the bucket cylinder we thought just needed a new plug. However, we discovered after brushing away all of rust and packed oil and dirt, the corrosion all the way to where the threads of the seal here are..see attached pictures. Is this something that is repairable? It only lacks maybe an 1/8” before the seal and plug will do the rest. The cylinder is obsolete on Kubota’s website. I have found replacement ones but that are $500 and up.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We have a parity, my father-in-law’s Kubota L2600DT that’s approximately 25 years old. To say that this tractor abused was its former life would be an understatement. Recently, the loader hydraulic cylinders went from small drips and it was time to tackle them. The boom cylinder required new seals and is now fixed. However, the bucket cylinder we thought just needed a new plug. However, we discovered after brushing away all of rust and packed oil and dirt, the corrosion all the way to where the threads of the seal here are..see attached pictures. Is this something that is repairable? It only lacks maybe an 1/8” before the seal and plug will do the rest. The cylinder is obsolete on Kubota’s website. I have found replacement ones but that are $500 and up.
Wow!
Has that tractor been used in a salt mine?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Easiest fix is to find a good welder to cut off and replace the fitting.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My personal opinion is crap like that is end of life and not worth repairing. I would think you could fit a pair of new generic cylinders for about $400.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hard to tell from the pics.

My first thought was in pic 1, as I look at the base, it appears to be "threaded" in. So that should/would be fairly easy to replace.

However in pic 4 , it looks like a small child was practicing his welding and "welded" the fitting in place, unless that is some sort of "pipe dope" bulge, but it looks like a 'weld' to me.

Replacing them with new "generic ones" will probably be the "path of least resistance".

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
As mentioned, both options (new fitting or new cylinders) are viable.

A decent welding shop can weld on a new fitting for you but I also suggest you examine the cylinder bore for scratches or gouges. Then check the rods for straightness and to ensure that the chrome is intact with no major pits and such.

If you decide to go the way of a new fitting, purchase the new rubber seals and stuff first. You don't necessarily have to go to Kubota for this - a good hydraulic shop can also match up the required seals and stuff.

Check out the costs and downtime and effort: rebuild vs. new generic cylinders and do what you think is best. Be sure also to include review of any bushings in the OEM cylinders as well as pins.

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
The LA723 loader on my L3130 had a stripped out cylinder "head" on the bucket tilt cylinder. From Kubota, the head and seal kit was like $300.

TWO replacement Shur-Lift cylinders would have been like $380. In Canada, such things come from Princess Auto, which is kind of like Harbor Freight in the US. For my application, these cylinders would have been an almost perfect match. The retracted and extended length of the replacements would have been 1/2" longer.

Check out all alternatives, including matching-up replacement seals from a hydraulic shop, replacement equivalent cylinder(s) from a hydraulic supplier, and repair parts from Kubota.