How to tell if my tires have ballast?

bigsky27

Equipment
Bx1860
Jun 22, 2024
Ohio
I recently bought a B2100 that is about 25 years old. The guy I bought from is some type of part -time dealer that buys/sells/trades things so he didn't know that much about it.

How can be I tell if the tires have already been filled with ballast (water, beet juice, etc)? It's there a way to do that without taking the wheels off?

I am curious because I want to know if it weighs more than the factory listed weight. And what to know for trailering purposes.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I recently bought a B2100 that is about 25 years old. The guy I bought from is some type of part -time dealer that buys/sells/trades things so he didn't know that much about it.

How can be I tell if the tires have already been filled with ballast (water, beet juice, etc)? It's there a way to do that without taking the wheels off?

I am curious because I want to know if it weighs more than the factory listed weight. And what to know for trailering purposes.
Depress the center of the Schrader valve with the valve at 6 o'clock and see if liquid comes out. If it does, you could rotate the wheel and keep testing until you determine the level of the liquid in the tire. You can then refer to a wheel ballast chart that RimGuard or Messick's have and figure out how much weight you have on board.

Reactions: 1 users

bigsky27

Equipment
Bx1860
Jun 22, 2024
Ohio
Depress the center of the Schrader valve with the valve at 6 o'clock and see if liquid comes out. If it does, you could rotate the wheel and keep testing until you determine the level of the liquid in the tire. You can then refer to a wheel ballast chart that RimGuard or Messick's have and figure out how much weight you have on board.
Thank you for the info. I did not think to rotate the tire and now I feel stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dont feel stupid, we all do say and ask things then we say, DOHHHH did I just do that,, welcome to the orange :)

Reactions: 1 user

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Tap the side of the tire 1/2 way down. If it is a dull thud it's loaded, if it's more of a hollow/ light sound it's only air. Same idea as finding wall studs. You can also tell how full they are this way, by taping up the side of the tire, until the sound changes.

Reactions: 1 user