How often does YouTube save you $$$$

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
YouTube has saved me $$$$ lots of timers. Just finished repairing our clothes dryer this morning for 20 bucks, when it would have cost between 250 and 300 for repairmen to make a rural call and fix it. Replaced a thermal fuse in our oven just 2 months ago, saving us more $$$. AC went out a month ago on a Friday morning and after replacing the capacitor (easy repair) it still would not cool, so I called the man because we were trying to leave town and I had no more time to try and figure it out. It turned out to be the Contactor and I had a new one I bought last summer but no time to try a figure it out. I didn`t want to pay weekend rates so I just let my AC guy fix it. Our washing machine was acting funny a while back and after a few videos it was good as new and no problems ever since. And lastly, I bypassed the auto stop/start function on our 2023 Honda CRV for less than 30 bucks last month. I have many more but, I digress.

[video:youtube]

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
More times than I care to admit !

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It's actually not YouTube, it's the creators on YouTube. If not for YouTube controllers, we could have even more information. But, at least we have Rumble.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I can state without exaggeration the videos posted there have saved me thousands.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS Kubota G1800
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Lot of helpful info on the tube. Got me out of a bunch of jams.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Long ago lost count of how much it’s saved me. Nothing beats watching someone competent do something, repeat as necessary until fully understood, then go play monkey see/monkey do.

That’s why the creators who do stuff totally wrong, sometimes dangerously wrong, then call it a “joke” kind of irritate me. If I half know what I’m doing and am looking for an expert to provide the other half I’m missing, I can pick up on the not funny “joke” videos. If it’s a subject where I’m clueless and learning from foundation up, those jokes really ain’t funny at all.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
2014 Prius, new head gasket, pistons and rings. At least $2000 saved. Yes, it can be done without removing the engine.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
VERY TIMELY POST!!!

My daughter just called. Her dryer is out. Repair guy came today. $440 plus tax to fix. She wanted to ask me if she should just buy a new one - this one is 14 years old.
I asked what they were going to fix. He told her it was the heating element.

Just looked at a youtube video. 15 minutes to change. $35 on Amazon for heater PLUS the 2 limits and the the fuse

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
I have worked on everything from revolvers to tractors after watching You Tube videos. I'm a decent mechanic, but I see a lot of different short cuts that help a lot. AND keep me from making mistakes.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm more of a reader than a watcher, so many youtube clips waste a lot of time with fluff. But the Internet overall, including youtube, has enabled me to tackle a bunch of repairs. INCLUDING OF COURSE THIS FORUM.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
And while we're (rightly) singing praises for YouTube vids, it should be noted that Wolfman and others here at OTT have also been great resources for tractor people.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
And while we're (rightly) singing praises for YouTube vids, it should be noted that Wolfman and others here at OTT have also been great resources for tractor people.
wtf - I never saw his dryer repair vids! Is he holding out?

• Haha

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Saved me on a water heater where the burn cycles caused the thermocouple to move away from the burner and get in to a no light condition. Found online that a nickel was the proper gap so it cost me $.05 since I left the nickel on top of the tank. Did that fix on our tank 3-4 times and taught the neighbors how to do it as well. Same with the AC capacitor. I ended up creating an account with granger so the capacitor was only $9.
I use YouTube to find out what I’m getting in to for car repairs if I’ve not done it before. Cloths washers, ice makers, dryers. The best one was after we moved our grandfather clock would not run. Super easy fix and back in business. No taking it to the one guy who does clocks and waiting 6 months.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For anyone not familiar with fine tuning YouTube videos, you can click on the 6 tab sprocket at the bottom and change the playback speed. If someone is talking 300 words per minute you can slow them down. If you're not willing to spend the full time watching the video speed it up to two X.

Also the volume can be adjusted up/down to the left where the speaker is. Often times it get shut down and your computer may be at full volume and still not loud.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
For anyone not familiar with fine tuning YouTube videos, you can click on the 6 tab sprocket at the bottom and change the playback speed. If someone is talking 300 words per minute you can slow them down. If you're not willing to spend the full time watching the video speed it up to two X.

Also the volume can be adjusted up/down to the left where the speaker is. Often times it get shut down and your computer may be at full volume and still not loud.
The nifty part of speeding it up like that is the people speaking don't sound like the Chipmunks. They just talk faster.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bill at $400/hr which works out to $6.67/minute

Watching a 15 minute video will have about 3 minutes of commercials rammed down my throat before being allowed to watch 14min and 30s of what is usually some guy with verbal diarrhea talk crap before I can see what I want which could be explained with a single photo.

So 18min x $6.67 /min = $120 lost wages if I only watch 1 video. Usually I need to sift through 4 or 5 videos before I can find something truly useful. That means I've wasted $600 watching youtub videos trying to find a peach amongst the turds.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Utube costs me far more than what I can save. Those project farm reviews always get me to buy stuff I didn't know I needed. :)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'll ask a question which may or may not be loaded.

How often does watching youtube COST you money?

Hahahahh..........I was thinking the exact same thing. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I will call it a "Net Zero" scenario.

I save tons of money fixing/building/making things, but then I dump ass loads of money back into the tools/machinery/consumables and such.

I will call it the "Lost Cause".

Don't believe it?

Meet my "Little Friend" that showed up yesterday........

😂😂😂
1396ED5F-8CC3-4B7D-B188-E57B1808D954.jpeg

I will be unstoppable now!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't think y'all understood where I was going with that question "how much does youtube cost you".

I understand what yall are thinking but here's where I was going with it:

As a service tech I see and have seen tons of equipment come through the shop that so-and-so certified youtube mechanic "fixed" or they used a certified youtube mechanic to figure out an issue. And oftentimes it was a bandaid fix or an improper fix altogether, and I (tech) get to figure out what in the world is going on with this thing.

Just one example of many. Yamaha 25hp outboard (F25-F is for four stroke). Shows up, customer says it doesn't have the speed it should. Accelerates fine to about 20 mph and then just acts like it's against the rev limiter. Ok cool, I am thinking spun hub since it's got a chincanese prop on it. Drops it off and I dig in. Pulled prop, no sign of hub damage. Checked splines (ok). Removed lower unit parts from the foot itself looking for gear slippage-none. Checked splines on the input (ok). Hmm? Weird. Put it in the test tank (horse trough) and start it up, runs perfect. I put my test prop on it and rev the engine. Gets to 4500 RPM and falls on it's face (typically they'll go to about 5700 or so with the test prop). Dig some more, intake looks good, cowling intake looks good (no dirt dobber nests plugging it up), did a compression and leakdown test (both perfect). No signs of water into the engine that sometimes happens with a blown head gasket or stuck thermostat (overheat) or sometimes salt damage. Engine oil looks great. Pulled valve cover and checked valve clearance. Intakes was a little on the tight side but nothing terrible, I loosened them up to .010 from .007 (spec .007-.010 intake, exh is .010-.015). Put it all back together and double checkd the timing belt. Started engine and with timing light double checked the ignition timing. I'm into this thing about an hour & a half by now, it's 5:30 in the evening and I'm done for the day. Go home, and for giggles I googled it "poor running F25". Found a youtube video. Guy says "factory defect F25 carburetor". What? I've sold and serviced these things since they came out in 1997 and there was no defect that I knew of?? So I watched it. Turns out what happens is this. Carburetor on these is a single throat, bowl-fed Mikuni, in that the fuel is fed in from the bowl, then it passes through the gasket and up into the upper body where it's fed into the needle valve assembly. Also down in the bowl are the "choke" passage and accelerator pump, which share the same feed passages. There is a restriction in the passage between the accel pump check valve assembly and the choke well, where the brass tube from the upper body sits and feeds the prime start mechanism (auto choke). If you let them sit and most people do, that passage gets plugged and the first thing that happens is that it will be hard to start (cause the auto choke ain't getting no fuel) and once running and warmed up it won't accelerate very well. So this hack on youtube is to drill out the pilot jet so that it will accelerate. Not the air screw but the jet itself. When you do this the engine idles rich so it will accelerate better, but remember the pilot jet is also used when the engine is running past about 1/2 throttle, it does supply some fuel to the mixture just not all that much. Since outboard run on the rich side at full throttle anyway, when the pilot is opened up with a drill bit, it runs richer yet-to the point where it loses a lot of power up top (in this case it won't run but about 4500 RPM tops on my test prop). Went to work the next day, removed the carb and pulled the jet out, to find that sure enough the pilot jet was drilled out (evidenced by drill marks). Called customer and asked about it, if it's had any work done to it. "Yeah I let it set up and the carb got diry and I cleaned it". Oh ok, great, how'd you clean it? "I took the jets out and cleaned them". Great, did you by chance clean them with a steel tip cleaner or a drill bit? "Yeah I had to drill out the idle jet because a guy on youtube said it's a factory defect". Ok, that's kind of where I was going with this. It's running too rich at high speed which is why it's down on power. You'll owe for the 1 hour diagnostic time plus 1.5 hour carburetor repair. "What that's ridiculous, I can clean that carb in 30 minutes!". Ok cool come get it and clean it yourself again--cause when I do it, it'll be done right and your engine will run normally again--but you still owe us for 1 hour diagnostic time. He calls boss and boss wants to know what's going on, so I told him. Boss told the guy same thing, there's nothing else that could be done to fix his issue other than what I told him-to replace the jet and then remove a pressed in brass plug in the bowl, clean the passage, and tap the hole for a tiny 4mm x 8mm length screw w/washer to plug the hold back (and allow for future cleanings). So that's what ended up happening. $27 for that little bitty jet and a lot of labor, and a $4 screw and brass washer, solved the problem...that could have been avoided. That was a lot of frustration for a simple fix, yet youtube came through again, and helped pay my bills-again.

I've done tractors in the same manner. Lawn mowers (especially!!). Boat motors, UTV's, ATV's, a few motorcycles (or a lot actually). Youtube mechanics suggest fixing a problem in a manner that creates other problems, which end up at the shop anyway to fix and ends up costing more to fix the Youtube mess-ups than it would have if they'd just done it right the first time.