How big a job replacing water pump? M4050

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
How many things do I have to pull off to replace the water pump? Can the radiator stay in place? Do I have to take the fan blade off? Thank you. As you can tell I’m not a mechanic. I appreciate your wisdom and experience,
IMG_2226.jpeg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can get to and take out the 4 fan bolts then you don't need to remove the radiator.
then it's easy to remove the water pump.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You will probably save time taking the radiator out if it is relatively easy to do. On my older tractor there were two lock plates and four bolts holding the fan on. They were sunken into the fan and could not be seen from above or sides since the fan shroud extended a bit past the fan.

Removing the hood took about ten minutes and taking the radiator off took about another ten or fifteen minutes since I didn’t want to cut the hoses off so struggled with them a bit. After that getting the fan off and back on took about five minutes (fan tips had been damaged before I bought the tractor).

Your tractor seems to have some foam seals around the radiator that might need to be replaced if they are old and fragile so that might make it more trouble and expensive to remove the radiator. You may consider getting some inexpensive snake style camera to get a view of the fan bolts and how to remove them.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
A trick is to use cardboard to keep the radiator fins from getting dinged.
Or thin plywood... anything that will stop you accidentally bending the radiator fins or damaging the tubes. Only takes a spanner to slip, or the pump suddenly freeing from the block ...

Or use the Russell King technique.

Reactions: 1 user

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
You will probably save time taking the radiator out if it is relatively easy to do. On my older tractor there were two lock plates and four bolts holding the fan on. They were sunken into the fan and could not be seen from above or sides since the fan shroud extended a bit past the fan.

Removing the hood took about ten minutes and taking the radiator off took about another ten or fifteen minutes since I didn’t want to cut the hoses off so struggled with them a bit. After that getting the fan off and back on took about five minutes (fan tips had been damaged before I bought the tractor).

Your tractor seems to have some foam seals around the radiator that might need to be replaced if they are old and fragile so that might make it more trouble and expensive to remove the radiator. You may consider getting some inexpensive snake style camera to get a view of the fan bolts and how to remove them.

Good luck!
Thank you!!!

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
Or thin plywood... anything that will stop you accidentally bending the radiator fins or damaging the tubes. Only takes a spanner to slip, or the pump suddenly freeing from the block ...

Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!