Hitch for lawn vacuum

Mattb

Equipment
Bx2360
Nov 21, 2023
Massachusetts
Help! Bought a used DR Power equipment leaf vacuum and it didn’t come with the tow hitch plate. Even if it did, I have a 3 point hitch installed and I think I’d need to remove that to use the standard hitch, which isn’t ideal.

Conceptually I know what I need (a plate which uses the receiver on the 3 point hitch) but I cannot find one/work out what to search for.

Does this exist? Should I be using something else?

Picture shows the vacuum resting on the hitch. There is a hole where I could use a pin, but does not seem strong enough.
IMG_1278.jpeg

Thanks!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Weld 2" square stock to it. Drill hole for hitch pin

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
add a 2" ball coupler to the DRmower frame ?

what model is the vac ? all current ones are 'pin hitch', so 2 flat bars on that front cross piece could work, add a 2nd cross bar bolted into those rear holes on the frames for 'rear' support.

Mattb

Equipment
Bx2360
Nov 21, 2023
Massachusetts
add a 2" ball coupler to the DRmower frame ?

what model is the vac ? all current ones are 'pin hitch', so 2 flat bars on that front cross piece could work, add a 2nd cross bar bolted into those rear holes on the frames for 'rear' support.
Its the older model with hard black plastic sides.

That’s along the lines I was thinking - my tow behind dethatcher has a similar setup with 2 flat bars bolted together. Thanks!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
You can also use 1 1/2" angle iron, 1/8" thick is strong enough for the job, BTDT.
Just do NOT try to use bed rails ! Dang things are heat treated and will destroy drill bits. !!

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
What type of wheels does the blower have? I ask as I have a DR Vacuum and it came with wheels on a fixed axle which was great behind the old lawn tractor and just pinned at the single point connection. When I purchased a zero turn years ago, I ordered the swivel wheels and hitch which uses a fixed mount with two mounting holes to keep it from swinging on the rear of the zero turn. From the picture of your vacuum it looks like it may be meant for the fixed mount. If the is the case all I did was add a piece of angle iron to the back of the zero turn and drilled two holes the matched the frame of the vacuum and lastly two 3/8 quick hitch pins.

Mattb

Equipment
Bx2360
Nov 21, 2023
Massachusetts
What type of wheels does the blower have? I ask as I have a DR Vacuum and it came with wheels on a fixed axle which was great behind the old lawn tractor and just pinned at the single point connection. When I purchased a zero turn years ago, I ordered the swivel wheels and hitch which uses a fixed mount with two mounting holes to keep it from swinging on the rear of the zero turn. From the picture of your vacuum it looks like it may be meant for the fixed mount. If the is the case all I did was add a piece of angle iron to the back of the zero turn and drilled two holes the matched the frame of the vacuum and lastly two 3/8 quick hitch pins.
Yes, the wheels swivel. I hadn’t connected that the wheels would need a fixed mount, but that makes sense now you mention it.

Agreed that I could add a mount to be back of the mower, but was hoping to add something to the 3 point hitch receiver; maybe that’s not an option either with a fixed mount being required.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Sounds like you should be able to use a drawbar between the lower link arms of your 3 point hitch as you are just towing the vacuum. They come in Cat 0, 1 or 2. Here is a pic of one for reference.
IMG_8952.PNG

Reactions: 1 user

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
If you go to the Dr site, they have manuals for old unit. Find yours and see what originally was on it. If you can fit your hitch between the legs of the front c channel and drop a pin in and still be able to turn I feel it should be strong enough. The times I called Dr, they were always helpful.

Just saw your wheels swivel. That would be a 2 point hitch that mounts solidly to the tractor and the vac turns with the tractor, thus the swivel wheels. You will need the 2 point hitch or swap out to non swivel wheels to be able to tow as a normal trailer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Curious, went to their site, found this manual may not be your exact model, but similar...
Page 10 shows how it's mounted, parts say 'hitch bracket' is #26.
Simple L bent plate of steel......
One possible option... have a welded add 2 'tabs' onto your 3PH horizontal bar.Maybe 3-4" long sections of 2" x 3/8" bar stock ?? Obviously holes drilled to match the DR ones.

oopsy, file too big....so best goto the website with your model #.