Help with Diverter Valve or 3rd Function

Spook1

May 28, 2015
Ohio
I purchased a used Kubota M4900. My plan is to add a grapple. I have been researching the WR Long 3rd function kits. I was also thinking a diverter valve would work for me as well. Tractor Data shows the Hydraulic flow for this tractor at 17.1 GPM. I had emailed Summit Hydraulics about their diverter valve kit and they told me I would need the 24GPM valve. However, the WR Long kit for this tractor shows 13GPM.

Would I need the 13GPM diverter valve from Summit if I go that route? Also, any real world experience on which is better, the true 3rd function or the diverter? I was leaning 3rd function as I thought I may get a hydraulic flail mower in the future and would be handy to run a hose from the front of the 3rd function to the back to use the remote with the flail mower. Any help and suggestions is appreciated.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I purchased a used Kubota M4900. My plan is to add a grapple. I have been researching the WR Long 3rd function kits. I was also thinking a diverter valve would work for me as well. Tractor Data shows the Hydraulic flow for this tractor at 17.1 GPM. I had emailed Summit Hydraulics about their diverter valve kit and they told me I would need the 24GPM valve. However, the WR Long kit for this tractor shows 13GPM.

Would I need the 13GPM diverter valve from Summit if I go that route? Also, any real world experience on which is better, the true 3rd function or the diverter? I was leaning 3rd function as I thought I may get a hydraulic flail mower in the future and would be handy to run a hose from the front of the 3rd function to the back to use the remote with the flail mower. Any help and suggestions is appreciated.
I see no value in a diverter valve for third function use. By the time you get it all plumbed in the cost is very close to a third function kit with directional valve.

Your grapple will never see anything close to 17 GPM and the 13 GPM WR Long or Summit kits are fine.

If you want a rear outlet its far more effective and not much more expensive to add another rear remote valve for that. In fact I would recommend two sets of outlets if you go that route.

Dan

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I mostly agree with Dan. A diverted to operate the grapple would be frustrating since you’ll lose your tilt & curl function when grappling. I use all 6 of the available motions when I work with mine and losing 1/3 of that would suck, big time.

Real rear remotes are ideal if you’ve got plans for some functions back there, but I’d consider a basic diverted if I knew that I’d never want more than a side shift for a flail. Remotes just give you a lot more opportunity for the future.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
See if Kubota offers a 'dual rear remote' valve kit.
A 'diverter' allows 'A' or 'B' at one time..NOT both.
A '3rd function' can be either a true 3rd valve setup OR an electrical version of the 'diverter'
Dual rear remotes are 2 full time valves,can be used WITH all other valves,so you could control grapple AND flail at same time, without ANY 'plumbing' changes.

It's been posted here ,several have had switch failures with their '3rd function' setups, something to consider.

just thinking of options for you.