HELP -- My M7060 is getting air in the fuel system

HappyTrails1911

Equipment
Kubota M7060
Oct 6, 2023
Tennessee
Hello everyone,
Just joined the community.
So here's my situation: about a month and a half ago I started experiencing loss of power in my M7060 while running my bushog in relatively short grass. It would run for about 20-30 min and then I'd notice the pto speed start to drop to around 520, then within a few minutes would start completely bogging down to 470ish even in 1st gear. I switched out my fuel filter (which did have significant crud and water in it), and drained my water separator. Put brand new fuel in and went back out to mow. It ran great for a couple days then started doing the same thing about 30 min into mowing. At this point I looked down and could see air at the top of the water separator, so I hopped off and bled the air out using the bleed screw on the separator and then the fuel filter. Again ran fine until about 20 min into mowing.
Just today I discovered that there must be air coming into the system, because when I bleed the air out (with the key turned halfway to run the pump) I can see it leave the water separator and then when I close the bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter I hear bubbling and can see air coming back in.

I know I could've done a better job when it comes to switching out my fuel filter sooner, but what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of what places to check for a leak in the engine area. I think I hear the bubbling sound coming from around the fuel cooler?? Is there a gasket or something like that which could've failed when the pump was working harder to pull fuel? I Haven't found any fuel on the ground when I park it.
I've tried everything I can think of without pulling the engine apart and getting to look at the injectors and such. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The cooler is on the return side of the system so it's not that.
If you're getting air in the separator, it's a plugged tank outlet, a bad fuel line between the tank and the separator, or an issue with a seal in the separator.

1696611760809.png

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Can’t speak for Wolfman, but the more likely issue for a plugged tank outlet could be trash or biomass sludge restricting flow from the tank. Fuel can’t flow from the tanks fast enough and starves the water separator/engine.

I think that’s what he’s referring to.

You said the filter was pretty crappy, so that’s pointing toward a possible tank issue. Filter got the crud from somewhere.

Tank caps often have vents built into them and can be a problem. Good place to start, but may not fix anything.

If you run it with the cap off and the water separator is still gaining air, it rules the cap vent out as the problem.

It’s relatively easy to diagnose flow from the tank by pulling fuel hose off strategic locations and seeing if it runs freely. Unfortunately I’m not familiar enough with your M7060 to tell you where to pull the hose(s) off as it depends on how the fuel system is designed to work with pumps, etc.

Hopefully someone more familiar with an M series tractor will chime in.

Last edited:

kygoatfarm

Equipment
m7060
Aug 26, 2020
ky
I would pull fuel line off water separator and blow air back into tank. You should be able to blow freely and hear bubbling in the fuel tank. Just like blowing bubbles with a straw in your chocolate milk. It should sound the same. If you blow something free and it suddenly gets easier to blow through then it’s time to drop your tank and clean it out. I had to do this after the nozzle of my diesel can fell off into tank. Thought I could ignore it but of course it settled to the bottom and partially blocked fuel outlet. Caused the same kind of bogging you described.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Also check your water seperator for dirt. Take the shut off valve out and apart. Blow everyhig clean.
I had a piece of foil fall into the tank from an additive container.it woukd plug the tank inlet after a random amount of time. If i remember correctly, the inlet on the tank has no hose, no screen nothing inside the tank. But a hunk of dirt could block it.
I thought the seperator always had a look like there was air bubbles at rhe top when running.... ill check tomorrow