Help! M5660, took out a hydraulic hose!

seper8tor

Equipment
M5660
May 9, 2024
Vista CA
So I recently purchased a 2022 M5660 tractor for our new 15 acre property. My first tractor ever and Ive got about 15 hours on it. I had a front rake attachment and was plowing through some scrub oak trying to clear a path through some live and dead oak saplings. A small(1" diameter) sapling I ran over speared the hydraulic lines on the left side of the tractor at just the right angle and took out a hose that I think feeds the LA1154 loader. I didn't notice at first until all of a sudden the loader and the rear box blade stopped working. Since I was in the middle of a bunch of brush and both front and back hydraulics were non functional and on the ground I couldn't move and had to leave my tractor in the bushes.

My question is, how much fluid did I lose breaking that hose? Its the one coming off the protected box next to the left side step that connects to the loader with the 90 degree metal L connector. DId I lose all 10 gallons? I shut down the tractor right after the loader and 3 point stopped working and after I noticed the big puddle of fluid on the ground! I'm trying to figure out how much fluid I need to order to get back up and running after I replace the hose.

After I replace the hose can I just top off the hydraulic fluid and get back to work or is there some other process I need to do? Bleeding?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So I recently purchased a 2022 M5660 tractor for our new 15 acre property. My first tractor ever and Ive got about 15 hours on it. I had a front rake attachment and was plowing through some scrub oak trying to clear a path through some live and dead oak saplings. A small(1" diameter) sapling I ran over speared the hydraulic lines on the left side of the tractor at just the right angle and took out a hose that I think feeds the LA1154 loader. I didn't notice at first until all of a sudden the loader and the rear box blade stopped working. Since I was in the middle of a bunch of brush and both front and back hydraulics were non functional and on the ground I couldn't move and had to leave my tractor in the bushes.

My question is, how much fluid did I lose breaking that hose? Its the one coming off the protected box next to the left side step that connects to the loader with the 90 degree metal L connector. DId I lose all 10 gallons? I shut down the tractor right after the loader and 3 point stopped working and after I noticed the big puddle of fluid on the ground! I'm trying to figure out how much fluid I need to order to get back up and running after I replace the hose.

After I replace the hose can I just top off the hydraulic fluid and get back to work or is there some other process I need to do? Bleeding?

Thanks for any help!
With tractor engine off. Work the loader joystick to remove any potential pressure. Then disconnect the broken hose, take it to a hydraulic shop and have them make a replacement. Install new hose, start and run the machine and work the loader. Shut off the engine and top off the hydraulic fluid. No bleeding necessary, just move the loader a few times before topping off the fluid. Use genuine Kubota UDT or SUDT, whatever the manual recommends.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
@jyoutz has a good idea.

As far as the amount of fluid lost thats hard to tell.

I would look at the hydraulic fluid level indicator (stick or sight glass?)to see if it is registering anything.

Then if you still cant tell, you may as well order the full amount. You will be needing some for the hourly servicing anyway.

BTW, Congratulations on the new machine! (y) 🍻

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thanks for any help!
Replace the hose, top off, and go.

Your tractor pump is rated for roughly 10 gallons per minute at full engine rpm so it could easily dump multiple gallons if it ran very long after the rupture. If it were me I would have at least 5 gallons with me when I returned to the scene and I would buy at least two 5 gallon pails just in case. It does not go bad and you should always have a supply on hand.

I also suggest you look closely at the damsge - its quite possible you broke a fitting off along with the hose.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

seper8tor

Equipment
M5660
May 9, 2024
Vista CA
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll pull the hose monday and inspect the fittings. Then I'll call around and try to find the hose and fluid. That fluid is expensive! I think I read somewhere that NAPA parts could make up a new hose if the local Kubota shop doesn't have one.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll pull the hose monday and inspect the fittings. Then I'll call around and try to find the hose and fluid. That fluid is expensive! I think I read somewhere that NAPA parts could make up a new hose if the local Kubota shop doesn't have one.
NAPA or any hydraulic shop. Just take them the old hose and fittings. And yeah the other posters offered good advice to have the fluid on hand and top off before reassembly and again after you get it back together and operate the loader. With a 2022 model, you will need SUDT fluid.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would buy at least two 5 gallon pails just in case.
Last time I was at the dealer, I asked for a 5 gallon pail, and the manager suggested to me that (5) one gallon jugs is much easier to handle/pour and that I would only be saving like $1.36 by getting a single 5 gallon jug.

Sounded reasonable to me, so thats the way I went.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Last time I was at the dealer, I asked for a 5 gallon pail, and the manager suggested to me that (5) one gallon jugs is much easier to handle/pour and that I would only be saving like $1.36 by getting a single 5 gallon jug.

Thats odd. Around here SUDT2 is $28/ gallon in a 5 gallon pail. How does that compare to what you paid?

Dan

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

1 gallon jugs are a LOT easier to carry to the tractor than 5 gallon pails!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I will be the one dissenting voice. You purchased a tractor, when it sounds like you should have started with a bulldozer or a tracked skid steer to clear the land and then the tractor to work the land. Good luck repairing the tractor.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thats odd. Around here SUDT2 is $28/ gallon in a 5 gallon pail. How does that compare to what you paid?

Dan
I can't find the receipt, but he told me that he would order in a 5 gallon pail if i wanted, but they do not stock them anymore because there is so little "savings Vs. pouring hassle".

The savings was somewhere around <5%'ish......Not significant enough for me to try and lift/pour a 5 gallon bucket though.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You could easily lose MORE than the 'savings' of buying 5 gallon bucket,when the funnel tips and you slip trying to rearrange things !!!!
I buy diesel in 10 litre cans and threw away the 20 litre ones years ago. Too much hassle trying to LIFT, hold, pour even with a funnel in tank spout.

As for the accident, sounds like you need to 'clear back' better BEFORE attacking more 'brush'. A 'clean workplace is a safe workplace' kind of mantra.....
It's just a hose and oil. If YOU had jumped off the tractor in running shoes, it could have been YOUR blood from the stick going through YOUR foot.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can't find the receipt, but he told me that he would order in a 5 gallon pail if i wanted, but they do not stock them anymore because there is so little "savings Vs. pouring hassle".

The savings was somewhere around <5%'ish......Not significant enough for me to try and lift/pour a 5 gallon bucket though.
I am wondering what sort of tractor dealer does not stock 5 gallon pails of OEM lubricants....

I dont try to lift and pour 5 gallon pails into a funnel or dinky and hard to access fill port. That would be foolish.

I pump them into the tractor. This guy is always at the ready be it a top off or full fill. Thats the way it was done on Grandpa's farm 70 years ago and for the last 30+ years the way its been done for in my "mini-estate" shop.

Dan

1000003012.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I pump them into the tractor. This guy is always at the ready be it a top off or full fill. Thats the way it was done on Grandpa's farm 70 years ago and for the last 30+ years the way its been done for in my "mini-estate" shop.

Dan

View attachment 131344
I see that the bail handle interferes with the pump. That would make it somewhat difficult to carry in my opinion.

Can it be arranged so there is a better handle position that can be carried easily?

I have a plastic version (hiding from me currently) that attaches to the pour spout of the lid. Depending on how the bucket, lid and pump are arranged can also cause difficulty with handling the pail of oil. So if I don’t find mine soon I may replace it with the version that you show (and hopefully it won’t be able to hide itself easily).

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I see that the bail handle interferes with the pump. That would make it somewhat difficult to carry in my opinion.

Can it be arranged so there is a better handle position that can be carried easily?

I have a plastic version (hiding from me currently) that attaches to the pour spout of the lid. Depending on how the bucket, lid and pump are arranged can also cause difficulty with handling the pail of oil. So if I don’t find mine soon I may replace it with the version that you show (and hopefully it won’t be able to hide itself easily).
The handle is no problem.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The last 5 gallon pail of SUDT I bought was $136 with the “10%” discount😱
Just got a price for two pails at two different local dealers. They quoted the same price to the penny - no price fixing here 👿

Looks like I an stuck with 155 / pail unless I take a road trip to PA where its 140.

Dan

• Love