headlight adjustment B3150

B2710HSD

Equipment
B2710HSD belly mower flail water bowser logging bench
Aug 12, 2011
CHEPSTOW UK
My headlights are blinding other road users and what I think are the adjustment screws do not seem to make any appreciable difference. I have half covered the lenses with insulating tape and am considering lower power bulbs. Just wondering if anybody has encountered the same problem or can offer any solution other than letting the front tyres down or fitting more weights. The operators manual and WSM do not give anything on adjustment.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I have a B2710 and have never had a reason to look to adjust my headlights but was not aware they were adjustable but will look at it today.

But before I did anything else would first see if your lights are needing to be adjusted. The low tech way is to face a wall and see where the light is really showing. Mine have replaceable common bulbs for the headlights, seems they are maybe 35 watts or 40 and I replaced mine with little larger ones. Have never had any impression they were not aimed properly.

B2710HSD

Equipment
Aug 12, 2011
CHEPSTOW UK
sorry to mislead, my username is b2710 but the problem is on my B3150.

the 2710 does indeed have very easy adjustment for headlight direction.

i have put it against wall to ascertain if adjustment is possible but the fact that on the road people keep flashing me thinking i'm on full beam or they are driving towards me with one hand shielding their eyes implies there is a problem.

the headlights are non "dippable" ie main beam only no dipped beam. another thing that kubota have cheapened on the newer models. along with check chains and turnbuckles on the link arms: i do miss those telescopic link arm stays on the old B2710

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Are you certain about the model number?

Messicks web site nor the main Kubota web site do not recognize the model B3150

Dave

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I agree your lights are blinding them. You have me wondering if my L6060 has high and low headlights. If you come up with a solution be sure you post it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The headlights in both m y M's were comparable to a flashlight with almost dead batteries, IOW, feeble glow. I replaced both on both tractors with LED bulbs. Much better and they 'dip' too.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
This is a shot in the dark. Pun intended.

The video I saw showed the hood opening in the front. Is there an adjustment for the stops that hold up the hood? If you are able to lower the stop you might need to adjust the latch to keep the hood tight.

B2710HSD

Equipment
Aug 12, 2011
CHEPSTOW UK
Are you certain about the model number?

Messicks web site nor the main Kubota web site do not recognize the model B3150

Dave
looks like the models listed on messicks for the headlight are

The part fits the 11 models listed below:
B2650HSD
B2650HSDC
B2650HSDC (Hydrostatic Transmission, 4wd / Cabin)
B3350HSD
B3350HSDC
B3350SUHSD
LX2610HSD
LX2610HSDC
LX2610SUHSD
LX3310HSD
LX3310HSDC

B2710HSD

Equipment
Aug 12, 2011
CHEPSTOW UK
My headlights are blinding other road users and what I think are the adjustment screws do not seem to make any appreciable difference. I have half covered the lenses with insulating tape and am considering lower power bulbs. Just wondering if anybody has encountered the same problem or can offer any solution other than letting the front tyres down or fitting more weights. The operators manual and WSM do not give anything on adjustment.

UPDATE

have taken the headlights out and one of them apart (difficult & messy job held together with mastic)

the problem has been found which i will try to describe but if i take them apart again i will try to add some photos to clarify:

the headlight is a sealed unit comprising an outer shell, inner unit and a bulb holder.

the inner unit is suspended within the outer shell by means of the two adjustment screws and a third rod with a ball and socket joint on the end. if you think camera tripod where the tripod can be levelled by adjusting two of the legs without need to adjust the third then you're on the right track. the third "leg" of the kubota headlight is a steel rod with a ball end into a plastic socket on the headlight inner.

as the two adjustment screws are turned the ball and socket joint should only allow rotation and is intended to restrain the headlight inner in all other directions (XYZ) of movement. the problem arises when the ball and socket joint is in tension and the plastic socket flexes and pops apart. once this has happened the lights point skyward and will not adjust down again.

if anyone reading encounters this problem there is a possible workaround: if the whole headlight unit is removed from the tractor and the bulb holder removed it is possible to see the ball and socket joint looking in through the bulbholder aperture. i managed to reconnect it by turning the adjustment screws to compress the joint back together. i adjusted the light unit to it lowest possible position before the ball joint pops apart and put it back in the tractor whilst avoiding the temptation to tweak it in situ.

if i take it apart again i will attempt to get a metal collar around the plastic socket joint: maybe a single ear "o clip" if i can get one in there would work.