Has Amazon ever sent you something you didn't order?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I went to my PO Box this morning and there was a package in an Amazon bag from a company called HOTOR. When I opened it there was a HOTOR car trash can in the package. It's weird. I even contacted the seat cover company I recently ordered from thinking that perhaps they'd had it sent out to me but they knew nothing about it. The package was addressed to me so what's the scam here?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Haven't had that happen but have had Amazon send me items that clearly have been used and returned.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at your amazon account and see if anything looks out of place.

Reactions: 1 users

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
I received an item that way a few years ago also. Following is from Amazon help.

When a customer receives a package they didn't order, it may be a scam called "brushing". "Brushing" scams occur when bad actors send packages to publicly available names and addresses.

If you receive a package or item, that you didn't order, first confirm that it was not a gift that was sent to you and check with friends and family to see if they ordered the package. If you confirm that the package addressed to you, wasn't ordered by you or anyone you know, report the package online by going to the Report Unwanted Package form.

You can also contact Customer Service who will support you in reporting the issue to the investigations team. Please provide the following information:

• Number of unwanted packages received.
    • A tracking number from at least one of the packages (found on the shipping label)
    • Any additional information to assist the investigation.

You don't need to return the item.

Amazon investigates reports of "brushing" and takes the appropriate action on bad actors that violate our policies. Amazon may suspend or remove selling privileges, withhold payments, and work with law enforcement.

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I received an item that way a few years ago also. Following is from Amazon help.

When a customer receives a package they didn't order, it may be a scam called "brushing". "Brushing" scams occur when bad actors send packages to publicly available names and addresses.

If you receive a package or item, that you didn't order, first confirm that it was not a gift that was sent to you and check with friends and family to see if they ordered the package. If you confirm that the package addressed to you, wasn't ordered by you or anyone you know, report the package online by going to the Report Unwanted Package form.

You can also contact Customer Service who will support you in reporting the issue to the investigations team. Please provide the following information:

• Number of unwanted packages received.
    • A tracking number from at least one of the packages (found on the shipping label)
    • Any additional information to assist the investigation.

You don't need to return the item.

Amazon investigates reports of "brushing" and takes the appropriate action on bad actors that violate our policies. Amazon may suspend or remove selling privileges, withhold payments, and work with law enforcement.
How does "brushing" benefit the company sending the item?

Thanks for the link. I reported the package to Amazon. (y)

By the way, the package came from the following sender:

HOTOR
4222 Integration Loop
Colorado Springs, CO 80916

Turns out this is the address of Amazon's distribution center in Colorado Springs.

Last edited:

KKBL

Equipment
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
How does "brushing" benefit the company sending the item?

Thanks for the link. I reported the package to Amazon. (y)

By the way, the package came from the following sender:

HOTOR
4222 Integration Loop
Colorado Springs, CO 80916

Turns out this is the address of Amazon's distribution center in Colorado Springs.
Brushing scams occur when a person receives a package from a business containing various items that they never ordered. The packages will be addressed to your residence, but usually do not have a return address or have the return address of a retailer. The scammer typically orders the merchandise using a third-party seller like Amazon or eBay. Their aim is to pose as a verified buyer of that product so they can post a fake positive review online to boost their product rating and popularity.

Although this type of scam seems victimless, it likely means that your personal information has been leaked and is available somewhere online. This information may be your name, address, or phone number. While you may not face any immediate harm from a “brushing” scam, your leaked personal information could set you up for another type of scam or identity theft in the future.

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow- great information.

Never had the circumstance or heard of Brushing, but something I will be wary of in the future.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
This a new one on me, thanks for posting.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I haven’t had it happen to me. When he was in college my now 27 year old son had it happening to him with packages sent to the house he was renting with several other guys. He mentioned it to me after about the 25th package in six months time and we had a discussion about brushing and why he needed to actually pay the premium to keep his identity protection insurance in force. He reported the next few packages received to Amazon and it stopped.

It’s kind of a weird scam, but it’s kind of a part of the company’s marketing budget. All they need is your name and address. That’s readily available if you live in the U.S. unless you’re on the run or transient and have no permanent address.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Good information!

This internet world is a bit crazy.

How many people drink too much one night and order online and regret it first thing in the morning. I've done it. My example... I'd wanted a $200 collectable for months and knew it would be gone if I didn't order one. There were only a few left. I did NOT need it. But I wanted it. Coveted it. So, one night, after a few too many jack and cokes... wife asleep.. 3 am stuff... I ordered it.

Bottom line. I got the collectable. Wife doesn't care. But looking at the collectable... today... I'd rather have the $200 that I spent on it. It won't be of collectable value until after I'm dead in 50 years.

KKBL

Equipment
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
After I reported the the brushing information to Amazon I haven't received anymore. I always keep on top of all credit related accounts, just in case someone is up to no good.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My hired man told me he's gotten several free things from Amazon for leaving a five star review.
He ordered a head lamp.
Got a email saying we'll send you cookie sheets/baking pans if you leave a good review after receiving them...odd.
But he's said it's happened twice with him.
But they tell you they want a review to keep the free item.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've had a few Amazon vendors asking me to order (buy) something, leave a good review and then they'd refund the purchase price... yeah....no.
Want me to review something? Send it to me. I'll make an honest review, good or bad.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'll send you something that you will have no use for and it will annoy the hell out of you for weeks if not months!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds good, when I finally decide I have no use for it, I'll just forward it to the next person !
I've already got two sheets of bronze looking for a new home....

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yes, at least twice. Low cost items we did not order. Once a scarf, the second time a cheap purse. My research led me to believe it is the vendor doing it so they can fake “verified” reviews.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Brushing has happened to me before. Considering the number of times my info has been hit (Target, OPM, Experian) it isn't surprising.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yes an expensive item. I filed for return, they never sent a return label nor instructions. Refunded, they never asked for anything else. It was 2 1/2 years ago. I messaged seller several times and they said don't worry about it so I don't.