HAMs

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a question for the HAMs in here. Last week I was visiting my youngest daughter in Ca at the ranch.
The ranch next hill over, the old boy is/was a ham. Now the question is this. The power company had removed the power poles and lines from the roadway, and he is left with a duplex line between 2 poles, remember the power is gone so the over head is still there. There was a coax from his garage to the ground line and tied to the 2 other lines as well. It is hard to explain but he had all 3 leads tied together at one end, with the other ends open in free air. So it was like a 80 foot long line, I have no idea how he would tune it. I was wondering it the way the lines are coiled around the center conductor wouldn't they attenuate the signal. OR, would all 3 lines radiate the signal?
He wasnt home so I couldnt talk to him about it, and it has had me thinking about it driving home, for the last 3 days

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Pics would help. Not quite understanding your description. Coax itself can be used as an antenna with one conductor (the shield) usually grounded and the center conductor used as the exposed radiating element. It seems you may be describing a dipole.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I 'see' it as all 4 wires, blk,red,wht,gnd are tied together so ONE massive conductor that's 80' long strung between the 2 poles. This IS the 'live 'antenna relative to Mother Earth ground.

The original 'gnd' from the drop is NOT connected to Mother Earth.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes I know it is kind of confusing to describe, and nothing is connected to mother earth. Though I wonder if all the leads were tied together at transmitter end, where in effect there would be 4 antennas, but that doesn't make any sense either.

So maybe the out side cables are acting as reflectors, I don't know. And the ARRL antenna lay outs, don't show anything like this, so I am stimmed. Thanks for the input guys

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Tying all radiating elements together would make it a random end fed long wire. Somewhere there would need to be a ground and a tuner.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I heard about a guy with that exact setup and the way he said it worked was "when people see it they can't stop thinking about it". Come to find out he wasn't a ham at all,just a phycologist with a sense of humor. 🤭

Last edited: