G6200 won't start, not getting fuel

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
I fired up my G6200 today and went out to mow, forgetting that I had closed the fuel line at the sediment filter and didn't open it back up, so it ran out of fuel and shut off. I opened it up and tried starting it again, but all it would do is turn on for a second or two and shut right back off. Tried opening the bleeder screws and turning the key to the "on" position, but nothing happened. Opened up the injectors, some bubbles came out, but didn't seem to help. Cleaned out the sediment bowl and filter, filled the bowl with fresh fuel, tried bleeding again, and now the engine is not getting fuel at all. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions on what I should do?

To add icing to the cake the tractor is stuck outside and we're supposed to get some nasty storms the next couple days. Hopefully the tarp I have over it doesn't blow away. :mad:

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your tractor has 2 fuel filters, one before the electric fuel pump and one after the fuel pump (the one that you've been working with), you will need the key on to get the fuel to flow out of the second fuel filters bleeder screw, and you will also need to bleed it at the side of the injection pump.
Then you will need to bleed it off at all the injectors, but to bleed it from the injector pump to the injectors you will need to crank it to get fuel from the injection pump to all the injectors, this could take about 30 sec to get all the air out.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Here's what I did:

-Opened the bleeder screws on the sediment filter, turned the key to the on position, nothing happened.
-Started it with the bleeder screws open to see if anything would happen, it ran for about 15 seconds, then shut off again. Closed bleeder screws.
-Opened the injectors, turned it over, a little fuel & bubbles came out. Closed injectors, tractor would start briefly and shut right back off.
-Opened the screw at the side of the injection pump, turned it over, no fuel came out of the screw. Closed the screws.
-Tried starting again, wouldn't fire at all.
-Removed sediment bowl, cleaned it, wiped off filter element, filled bowl with fresh fuel. Opened bleeder screws, turned key to on position, nothing happened. Closed bleeder screws, turned engine over, won't fire.
-Opened injectors, turned engine over, no fuel came out. Closed injectors while getting feasted on by mosquitoes, covered tractor with tarp, called it a night.

Is there some way to prime the system on the D640? I'm actually wondering if the electric fuel pump is shot and isn't pumping any fuel to the engine, because when I turn the key to the on position nothing happens. Or maybe I just need to crank it longer to push the air up to the injectors and then get fuel up there?

Last edited:

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
Went back out today and tried the bleeding process again, but there is zero fuel delivery. No fuel coming out of the bleeder screws, no fuel coming out of the injectors, nothing. I pulled fuel lines and turned the key to the on position, and no fuel came out. Turned the engine over with the fuel lines off, still no fuel being pumped.

I'm guessing either there's air or gunk trapped somewhere in the lines or the electric fuel pump is toast. When I turn the key to the on position should I hear the electric fuel pump turn on?

All I can think of to do now is change out fuel pump and the fuel filter by the tank and see if that cures the problem.

Also, is there a way to roll this thing without damaging the hydrostatic transmission? There's no transmission release lever so I don't know if there's another way to roll the tractor when it's not running.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your not getting fuel out of the bleeder on the fuel filter with the key on you have a problem since it's a electric fuel pump.

Check Fuses first! Look for a fuse that is for the fuel pump, then find the fuel pump and check for power going to it, if no power run a temp jumper wire to the battery , re-bleed the filters and lines and start and move tractor.

If there is power to the pump, then fuel pump, first filter, or tank is clogged.

You can remove the line off the input of the injection pump and using a section of hose and a bottle feed fuel directly to the injection pump to get it inside, remember to bleed the injectors after feeding it fuel from the bottle.
You don't need to squeeze the bottle or anything as it only requires a small amount of fuel at low pressure, if you have a distance to go give the bottle a little vent hole in the top to allow the fuel to flow out of the bottle easy.

Last edited:

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
I pulled the lines after the filter by the tank and fuel poured out and continued to pour out, so I'm guessing everything up to the first filter is clear. Also pulled the line off from the filter to the pump and ran a piece of trimmer line through it and that seemed clear as well. Then I pulled off the line after the pump and turned the key on and the pump did nothing. Ran a multimeter to it and got a reading at first but then when I tried it again a minute or two later I got nothing. Really wish I had a power probe right now.

I'll see if I can find a fuse somewhere, and if not then I'll run the jumper wire, and last resort try bottle feeding it.

MaximusGluteus

May 28, 2014
Wisconsin
I figured out the problem. There is a loose wire in the dash. Once I found it I turned the key to the on position, the dash light came on (it had stopped coming on a few days ago), and the fuel pump started clicking. Bled the lines, bled the injector pump, bled the injector, and it started right up like nothing had been wrong.

Thanks for your help Wolfman! Talking through it with you is what got me on the right train of thought to find the problem. :)