G5200 Strange transmission noises and freewheeling

JimNC1

Equipment
BX2660, G1800, G5200, ZD221
Jun 26, 2023
Salisbury NC
Hi all...
Picked up a G5200 tractor recently to do some resto to as a fun time project. Got it running great again, changed oils except the the transmission, which looks near perfect and the level is spot on. This machine sat for 5-10 years, so it needs changed, but to me it seems it has a problem.

1. It freewheels. Like VERY easily, weather or not the engine is running. I also own G1800, BX2660, and ZD221. None of those freewheel like this, and most if not all of them even "click" when you roll them slowly. That being said, it seems to move well, with no hesitation.
2. It's super noisy. It's not the usual HST "whine". It sounds like gear lash - more like a rattle.
3. Seems like it has slop too, which could account for #2. Example: If you are downhill, flatten out, and start to be where it needs to reapply power, it seems to have a dead spot or small 1 second delay before you can feel it starting to pull again. But important to mention, it's not slip - it's almost like a super sloppy gear mesh or a gear loose on it's shaft.

I have to insist, it's not slipping. I've pulled trailers loaded with dirt, and it will break the tires loose with no effort.

It's history - it has 1400 hours and was used on a VERY hilly lawn in the foothills of the NC mountains.

I downloaded the Eaton 11 manual and looked through it, but nothing "jumps out" at me as to where to start.

Any clues where to begin with it besides the obvious cutting open the filter and checking the screen for metal? (which I have not done yet) I'd actually be surprised to find anything, as perfect as the fluid is even after driving it.

Honestly, it's nothing I could not live with - but the point is more that I don't want to cause further damage for have something come flying through the hydro case.

Many thanks in advance for thoughts and advice. I've rebuilt many an engine, but automatic transmissions really are not my wheelhouse. I've searched through forums and google, and no one seems to have the same symptoms as me. Generally people with freewheeling problems seem to have motion problems. That said, if you can point me to a similar thread you think applies also, that would be helpful too.