G 5200 suddenly won’t turn over.…

marine-mp

Equipment
Kubota G5200 HST
Oct 4, 2020
Western NC
Good ‘enin, OTT. I’ve been slowly getting my G5200 back in shape!! It’s been a real help around the hacienda…it’s to a point now that all I have left to do is some body work and paint. Finish the deck for next spring.
I was using it today to haul some trailer loads of gravel when out of nowhere, it refused to turn over?? I started it today several times between loading and unloading and no sign of trouble. I have the “red” light and I can hear the fuel pump, but the starter won’t turn the motor over. I thot (dangerous!!!) that maybe a weak battery, so my brother and I pushed it to the garage, and put it on the charger. Got the full charge in a short while. Same thing. No sigh of motor turning over.
Any ideas of where a bootcamp like myself should start to look?? Any help would be most graciously accepted, as this is my first journey in the diesel jungle!!!! I love this machine!!! Semper-fi & This We’ll Defend, Mike

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your tractor will have two safety switches. One on the seat and another on the speed pedal.

forum G5200 safety switch wiring.jpg

forum G5200 safety switcch location.jpg

The safety switches are to prevent the engine starting when it is not safe such as the mower engaged, the speed pedal depressed.

It is common for these safety switches to have wires pulled off or the internal contacts get tired and not conduct electricity to engage the starter.

Step one is to look for loose wires.

forum G5200 safety switcch location.jpg

There may be other safety switch locations.

If nothing is found with the safety switches, you need to use a $15 12 volt test light.

Test light.jpg

Connect the aligator clip to the battery negative and touch the pointed end to the flat small terminal on the starter solenoid.

The light inside the test light handle should illuminate when the key is turned to the START position.

Lastly, to show if the starter is OK you need to jump it.

Starter jumping bypasses every safety switch designed for your protection. It is best to have someone knowledgeable sitting on the seat to ensure the machine does not run a way.

forum G5200 starter.jpg

If the starter cranks the engine but the test light does not illuminate you have a problem between the key switch and the starter solenoid with one or more safety switches in the middle of the circuit.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

marine-mp

Equipment
Kubota G5200 HST
Oct 4, 2020
Western NC
Thank you kindly, Dave_eng. I’ll check each one out. A very detailed answer for me to follow through on!! Me an ‘lectical don’t get along too well, so this is a great help. Again, thank you kindly. Semper-fi & This We’ll Defend, Mike

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The first place to check is the battery ground, where it connects to the frame. Needs to be clean metal, no rust, paint, etc. And the cables from the battery need to be clean without oxidation.

Reactions: 1 users

marine-mp

Equipment
Kubota G5200 HST
Oct 4, 2020
Western NC
Thank you kindly, D2Cat. I’ve transplanted the battery to the back of the tractor and had new cables made up about a month ago. Also, had a new ground strap made up and cleaned the mating surfaces. I moved the battery to the rear to eliminate any overheating problems that I’ve read about concerning the battery being located directly in front (or back) of the radiator. Again, thank you kindly for the reply. Semper-fi & This We’ll Defend, Mike
DEC8B9DE-9FF1-42B6-984E-676D40306A04.jpeg

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Reactions: 1 user

marine-mp

Equipment
Kubota G5200 HST
Oct 4, 2020
Western NC
Good ’enin, OTT. I REALLY wanted to get to the starting prolem today, but “life” got in the way. Daughter called and needed “Daddy” to help her with a situation. Y’all Daddy’s know how the world stops when our baby’s need us. I’ll try to get to it Monday and let yuns know what I find. Till then, thank you kindly for the replies. Semper-fi & This We’ll Defend, Mike

Walker111

Equipment
G5200
Sep 7, 2018
Fburg VA
On a side note....the battery in its factory location shouldnt cause any overheating issues. Best advice to keep it operating normally is keep the screen cleaned.

marine-mp

Equipment
Kubota G5200 HST
Oct 4, 2020
Western NC
Well, finally got to check my prolem out. Yuns rock the house…no bout adout it!! I manually worked the “pedal safety switch” several times, an “wha-lah”, jumped in the seat and she ( yup, it’s a she!!) started like it never had a day off!! Thanks for making my “repair” so e-z peazey!! To all yuns who “lent-a-hand”, I thank you kindly. Semper-fi & This We’ll Defend, Mike