Estimate to do backyard

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I am running out of time and energy, so I want to farm out the work for the backyard. Below is the estimate that I received. Your thoughts...

09/01/2024 Mobilization Mobilize equipment and crew to site. $500.00

2. 09/01/2024 Landscaping Upon looking over the area, it is estimated the area to be power raked is 2,500 sqft. $1,000.00

3. 09/01/2024 Landscaping The entire area to be covered with 4" of loam is 6,000 sq ft. Estimated yards of loam needed is 75 yards at $33 per yard and that includes delivery to site. 75 X $33.00 = $2,475.00

4. 09/01/2024 Landscaping Labor for spreading loam, grass seed, lime, fertilizer, and removing the small pine trees and trimming a couple low hanging branches. $3,000.00

Total $6975.00

The quote didn't mention any tax, so I assume that it is included.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
don't assume ! Taxes are always extra, unless, cash jobs....... at least up here ,north of the 49th.
Labor is usually NOT taxable in the USA.
Tax should be on only the $2575 for materials.
You have the very dubious good fortune of the TOTAL job tax in Canada! 😭

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Dusty,

Not sure what it is that you are questioning. The soil calculation of 75 yards is correct based on the square footage and depth. The cost of which seems very reasonable at @ $33/yard delivered assuming its screened topsoil. You're talking about 4 triaxle loads...

My question would be do you need all of that topsoil if power raking first?

Regarding sales tax. That is generally determined by the state (depends on your state). Here in PA, businesses have to charge (report) sales tax on "maintenance/re-occurring" type items (including labor). These would be things like mulching, overseeding, fertilizing, mowing etc.

However, when those labor items are part of an installation/construction project, they are Not taxable. Even tree trimming by itself would be a taxable service. But, when in conjunction with an installation service, it isn't taxable.

In your case, I'd be writing your job up as a new yard installation...therefore the labor would not be taxable. Of course, the taxes on the materials are likely being paid by the contractor.

YMMV

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would certainly trust @dirtydeed about the quote and specs before anything I would offer.

I thought the aggregate was reasonable, but as dirty said there could be questions about services needed.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My question is do the labor charges as listed seem reasonable? I agree that the cost of the loam is reasonable. The last time I had 10 yards of loam delivered it was $30 a yard and $100 delivery fee. I trust the people that I do business with, however in this case I don't know what is reasonable. Is $500 to get the crew and equipment reasonable? They are about 30 minutes away from the job, and I have no idea what equipment that they are bringing.
The reason for the 4" of top soil is I want to have a good lawn, and the sub soil is basically fill that was used to bring up the level of the backyard when the home was built. There were enough large boulders buried down deep that they could have brought in a rock crusher and made crushed rock by the yard. I really didn't care because they are 10' down or more. It was whatever they took out of the ground when digging the foundation.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My question is do the labor charges as listed seem reasonable? I agree that the cost of the loam is reasonable. The last time I had 10 yards of loam delivered it was $30 a yard and $100 delivery fee. I trust the people that I do business with, however in this case I don't know what is reasonable. Is $500 to get the crew and equipment reasonable? They are about 30 minutes away from the job, and I have no idea what equipment that they are bringing.
The reason for the 4" of top soil is I want to have a good lawn, and the sub soil is basically fill that was used to bring up the level of the backyard when the home was built. There were enough large boulders buried down deep that they could have brought in a rock crusher and made crushed rock by the yard. I really didn't care because they are 10' down or more. It was whatever they took out of the ground when digging the foundation.
Ok. Got it.

General rule of thumb (was)...double the material costs. So, yes, they are in the ballpark when you add in seed/fert and hopefully straw.

Do you really need them to power rake first if they are covering with topsoil? I wouldn't bother. They'll likely be using the harley rake to grade the fresh topsoil.

Mobilization- I don't charge for that but I understand that others do (especially for moving big equipment). It takes time to get materials as well. I figure that If a client wants me to do the work, getting the equipment and material there is my problem and I put that in the labor and materials cost. I don't put that in as a separate line item. Ultimately, the client is still paying for it.

I would assume that they'll be bringing a skiddie with a harley rake....that's about it.

edit: I will say that you are getting a VERY GOOD DEAL on the screened topsoil...around here it's close to $40/yd...without delivery.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have since asked, and they are bringing a Kubota "Bobcat" with a "rock hound on it". The yard is too full of football sized rocks to just go over them. As it is, in the other lawns and even the paved driveway the rocks and boulders pop out of the ground ever spring and I have to deal with them. In the driveway they usually are size of a half a Volkswagen, and it got to expensive to keep repairing the asphalt, so now we just ignore them. In some instances they were dug out and filled with gravel, and another comes to the surface to take their place. Some examples below. If it weren't for all the rocks, boulders, and ledge in New England, we would be at sea level.
MVC-001L.JPG
MVC-002L.JPG
MVC-003L.JPG
MVC-004L.JPG
MVC-005L.JPG

Last edited: