Error code 20, plus screen reads “Depress Clutch”

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
Tractor will not turn over from ignition switch, only be jumping across starter solenoid.

Error on screen is 20.

“DEPRESS CLUTCH” message. So I tied the clutch pedal down to actuate the safety switch. Still no crank.

Any tips on how to get it started?
IMG_6096.jpeg

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
I had a similar issue on my L4740. I was seeing multiple errors preventing startup, so I went through and tested/jumped each of the safeties to find the culprit. In my case I think the post the clutch switch was bolted to got bent, so the clutch pedal could not depress the switch enough. I bent it back and redid the PTO switch bypass and I was back in business.

Instead of just checking the clutch switch, can you try jumping it temporarily?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you need it running you can turn on the key and jump the starter. Unless there is some safety switch involved it should start and run.

Just be careful not to get run over by the tractor if it starts in gear.

I have no idea what type of safety control is on your tractor but you just need fuel, air and compression to run so older tractor can run with the key in the off position.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
M
I had a similar issue on my L4740. I was seeing multiple errors preventing startup, so I went through and tested/jumped each of the safeties to find the culprit. In my case I think the post the clutch switch was bolted to got bent, so the clutch pedal could not depress the switch enough. I bent it back and redid the PTO switch bypass and I was back in business.

Instead of just checking the clutch switch, can you try jumping it temporarily?
My clutch pedal assembly was bent by a tree branch intrusion a few years ago. I bent it back with a pry bar and sledge hammer. It worked passable all this time. But I will test it electronically when reinstalled to be sure.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
M

My clutch pedal assembly was bent by a tree branch intrusion a few years ago. I bent it back with a pry bar and sledge hammer. It worked passable all this time. But I will test it electronically when reinstalled to be sure.
I am going to go through all the safety switches as you did.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
M

I did jump the switch’s plug with a bare wire and it still would not start when turning the starter over by jumper at solenoid with key on.

BudGoat

Equipment
L3240HST, Bushhog RDTH84
Sep 4, 2022
Flippin, AR 72634
M

I jumped it at the switch but still no fire or start up

I will take your advice and start at the PTO switch and work around to all the others. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You really need to start with the wiring diagram from the WSM.
You need to KNOW what switches are involved with 'no start' and 'depress clutch'.
Does the 'error - depress clutch' go away when you short out the actual clutch switch connector ?
Why look at PTO switches when the error says 'depress clutch' ?

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
Do you have an L3240-1 or L3240-3 HST? Here is the ERROR-20 text from the LXX40-3 WSM:
WSM Errors.png

And the wiring diagram:
WSM HST Electrical.png

The ERROR-20 communication issue is something I've not had to troubleshoot and is concerning. I have an LXX40-1 WSM, too, if needed. Can you jump all the way to the ECU, i.e. with the seat and seat pan out of the way?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, just where doers the 'depress clutch' message appear ?
and

this tractor WAS working fine before ? what was the 'history' ?