Electrical question......

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just ordered a new 8500W DuroMax dual fuel generator.
This unit has a 30Amp/240 volt 4 pole twist lok output.
I want to be able to use it with a nearby three prong dryer receptacle.
The internet seems to say that I must use a 4 prong receptacle.
If I must use a 4 prong receptacle, I do not see how there could be any benefit.

There are only three wires inbound to that receptacle, the current supply is buried, and is 600ft long underground (2 hots +neutral)....... (I ain"t diggin 600' to add a ground wire!
Should I just take that (4th wire) ground from the new 4 prong receptacle, and hook it to a ground rod ?
I thought this was a no-no.
Seems like all that would be grounded would be the 15' distance from the generator to the new 4 prong receptacle.
I should do....What?

Last edited:

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Residential electrical must have one and only one "ground" in the entire system (in most jurisdictions). So the answer also depends if the generator has an isolated ground (and floating neutral), or if the ground/neutral are tied together in the generator.
Most "portable" generators have the ground/neutral tied together inside, meaning you must use that as the "ground" (with ground rod) and never tie it to the house ground. Doing so would create a ground loop. If the generator has an isolated neutral (like many home standby generators with automatic transfer switches), then you could use the house ground, as it is grounded only at one point, usually at the service entrance.
All these "rules" can vary a bit by region or area. The only real answer is to get a qualified electrician to inspect and/or install your wiring so it meets electrical code. Never assume....be safe rather than sorry later.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Residential electrical must have one and only one "ground" in the entire system (in most jurisdictions). So the answer also depends if the generator has an isolated ground (and floating neutral), or if the ground/neutral are tied together in the generator.
Most "portable" generators have the ground/neutral tied together inside, meaning you must use that as the "ground" (with ground rod) and never tie it to the house ground. Doing so would create a ground loop. If the generator has an isolated neutral (like many home standby generators with automatic transfer switches), then you could use the house ground, as it is grounded only at one point, usually at the service entrance.
All these "rules" can vary a bit by region or area. The only real answer is to get a qualified electrician to inspect and/or install your wiring so it meets electrical code. Never assume....be safe rather than sorry later.
Thanks, but clear as mud to me!
If ground and neutral were "tied together inside" the generator, why would the generator supply outlet have 4 prongs?
Seems like 3 would be enough.
Should I take the 4th pin on the 4 prong receptacle, and connect it to a ground rod?
The circuit at the existing receptacle is 3 wire (2 hots and neutral) there is no ground.
That cannot be changed!
I suspect that 3 "electricians" might offer 3 differing opinions.

Last edited: