Does this harm the steering wheel?

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I am a 220# guy. I noticed yesterday that every time I get on the tractor (BX23) I use the steering wheel to pull myself up. Due to a right knee replacement I need the extra bit of help. Am I doing any harm to the steering column?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not really other than the hard plastic bushing on the shaft that will eventually get sloppy and need replaced. Easy job to replace.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I catch myself using the steering wheel inadvertently.... I try to remember to use the left-fender grab-handle and the FEL cross-over-bar instead.... much more robust besides....

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If your tractor has been sitting outside in the sun for 20 years it might be an issue. I've never broken one but I don't hang off of them or stand on one side.

Last broken plastic steering wheel I saw had a metal loop molded inside the plastic for strength. The loop had broken pieces but was still a loop.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't think you need to be concerned about the steering wheel actually breaking off in your hand, only the bushing Flip mentioned.

Here's a steering wheel that had been a bit warm. The material melted, but the wheel was still there!
019.JPG
020.JPG
025.JPG

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I don't think you need to be concerned about the steering wheel actually breaking off in your hand, only the bushing Flip mentioned.

Here's a steering wheel that had been a bit warm. The material melted, but the wheel was still there! View attachment 49467 View attachment 49468 View attachment 49469
The OP has a BX tractor, no bushing as the wheel is on the end of the steering valve its self. Any other model has the valve mounted lower and uses a bushing in a column.

How did the steering wheel get that hot and not burn the dash????

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This L305 was in a barn that caught fire. The tractor was not on fire, just close to the fire. The hottest part was at the left rear of the tractor. Notice the lights which were on the fender was melted and ran into the rubber on the tire. The tractor had set outside for about 4-5 years before I bought it. It looks way worse then it really was. Biggest expense was I bought a new injection pump. Got that from Diesel Injector Service in Portland, Or. shipped to me for $426. The tires on the tractor were just old 16" off of a truck. The R-1's were rotted from weather and oil leaking onto them. Found new R-4's at Tire Town for $100 each.

021.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG
026.JPG

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This L305 was in a barn that caught fire. The tractor was not on fire, just close to the fire. The hottest part was at the left rear of the tractor. Notice the lights which were on the fender was melted and ran into the rubber on the tire. The tractor had set outside for about 4-5 years before I bought it. It looks way worse then it really was. Biggest expense was I bought a new injection pump. Got that from Diesel Injector Service in Portland, Or. shipped to me for $426. The tires on the tractor were just old 16" off of a truck. The R-1's were rotted from weather and oil leaking onto them. Found new R-4's at Tire Town for $100 each.

View attachment 49473 View attachment 49474 View attachment 49475 View attachment 49476 View attachment 49477
Now it makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Some time ago there was a member that mentioned he was using the steering wheel to help himself on and off the tractor, a BX model if I recall correctly. Anyway, he broke the cast portion behind the dash where the steering shaft came through. He admitted that he had been using the steering wheel to pull himself up on the tractor. I have not used my steering wheel to help myself on the tractor since I read about the guy who busted his.

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Some time ago there was a member that mentioned he was using the steering wheel to help himself on and off the tractor, a BX model if I recall correctly. Anyway, he broke the cast portion behind the dash where the steering shaft came through. He admitted that he had been using the steering wheel to pull himself up on the tractor. I have not used my steering wheel to help myself on the tractor since I read about the guy who busted his.
Yes, several of the supports have been broken by pulling on the steering wheel to mount the tractor. Some of the BX series models are a major teardown to replace the supports as they also hold the radiator.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah I did one of those recently too (BX aluminum steering support replacement). Have done quite a few. Always fun. Could be worse (RTV engine R&R). most of the time it's logs or whatever in the bucket that roll off of the bucket and onto the steering wheel which busts the supports but I have seen one that was busted from climbing on, and missing a step (and holding onto the wheel). Dunno how big that ol' boy was. Never met him just talked to him on the phone.

local guy has knee and back issues and owns/operates a Z122R. Same deal he has a rough time mounting the mower. What we (myself and my other neighbor) did was to build him a wooden platform that is almost level with his front porch, yet tapers down to the same height of the mower's floorboard. This way he walks outside, walks right onto the mower's floorboard and sits down. Easy. Would that be an option that might help you? THe only down side is that if you park somewhere other than where the platform is, it's gonna be a little harder to mount/dismount, meaning it's best to check the fuel level, etc-and make sure you have plenty BEFORE you hop on and go tractoring. My friend who's got issues with his back & knees, seems like he always runs out of fuel, if I ain't home (usually not), the neighbor's gotta go fill his tank back up in the middle of the field. Someday it's gonna get so bad that he'll have to give it up

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I catch myself using the steering wheel inadvertently.... I try to remember to use the left-fender grab-handle and the FEL cross-over-bar instead.... much more robust besides....
The crossbar on my open station M9 is devoid of orange paint on the left side from getting on and off. I rarely use the fender handle. Actually thought about welding a 'U' shaped metal rod to the top of the crossbar as a grab handle.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've worn the paint completely off the grab bars and door bar on my cabbed M9 as well, from getting in and out. The white primers is still there but the ROPS grey is long gone (something I need to address this winter actually). Looks tacky....

The steering wheel was wobbly on my open station (I think the previous owner used it and the cross bar for ingress). Was an easy fix, pull the wheel and replace the plastic bushing.