Difficulty changing gear range on MX5400 HST

lawdog

Equipment
mx5400
Jun 14, 2024
PA
I am new to tractors and recently purchased a used MX5400 HST (90 hours). It seems difficult to change the gear range. The manual indicates that you are not to force it into gear and that you might have to drive a little to change the position of the gears. It just seems like it takes a number of tries to change the gear range. Is this normal? Any tips? Thanks in advance

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Try clutching in when shifting ranges. Like any gear set if the gears are loaded it's harder to shift. Try reversing directions a little bit to unload the gears.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
When I bought the Kubota M59 HST it had 1100hrs and a couple of rough previous owners. The range lever was bent and didn’t align with the shift marks and hard to change ranges. Straightened lever and over time with clutch, brake, gentle pressure over enough time it become easier and quicker to change ranges. Frequently have to shift between medium and high. Love the “plus” high/low shifter for each range.
The Kubota B26 bought used with only 50hrs had similar experience. It has no foot clutch. Hold the brake to shift ranges. Believe the manual says it can take up to a minute. It too has gotten easier to shift with use. Agree with Mikester that sometimes use the HST pedal to relieve drivetrain tension to improve range shifting. Gentle pressure and patience helps.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I am new to tractors and recently purchased a used MX5400 HST (90 hours). It seems difficult to change the gear range. The manual indicates that you are not to force it into gear and that you might have to drive a little to change the position of the gears. It just seems like it takes a number of tries to change the gear range. Is this normal? Any tips? Thanks in advance
I have similar experience on my L4701, and the B2301 I had before that. I think it’s just how they are. I rock the HST pedal back one or two or three times until it takes less pressure on the range lever to move it.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I would guess my L2501 HST is similar in range changes as your MX5400 HST.

One of the main things I have found that helps is to stop on level ground (if possible) when selecting a different range. As Mikester mentioned gear loading, I have found out stopping on level ground first reduces the chance of gears being loaded. This technique has greatly reduced hard shifting and needing to "jog" the tractor slightly forward or reverse to shift into a different range.

Reactions: 1 users

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I would guess my L2501 HST is similar in range changes as your MX5400 HST.

One of the main things I have found that helps is to stop on level ground (if possible) when selecting a different range. As Mikester mentioned gear loading, I have found out stopping on level ground first reduces the chance of gears being loaded. This technique has greatly reduced hard shifting and needing to "jog" the tractor slightly forward or reverse to shift into a different range.
Yep, agree, level ground, at least in my LX.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have precious little level ground. Usually have to shift because of the grade change.

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada
I have an mx5100 with same issue. Issue is worst stopping on hills to shift as it loads the gears. So instead of rolling to stop, stop with brake pedal. That makes for an easy shift every time.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This will probably get me accused of tractor abuse but it works for me and I sleep easy at night....
  1. Full stop @idle RPM. If not on level ground set parking brake.
  2. Depress clutch, move range lever to desired speed
  3. If it wont go into gear maintain LIGHT pressure on the lever and GENTLY and SLOWLY move HST pedal forward and let up on the clutch. You will feel and hear the gears rotating into mesh at which point you can return HST to neitral, fully depress the clutch, and complete the shift.
Dan