DIFFERENTIAL will not unlock

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
DIFFERENTIAL will not unlock - needs replacing

I have a 4X4 L275 serial # 51172. The PEDAL DIFF LOCK and the CAM DIFF LOCK both move freely but the DIF LOCK is stuck engaged. I have tried to free it in both 4X2 and 4X4, going both forward and reverse, applying right or left brake, applying both brakes hard or easy at the same time, going strait and turning, using different gears and speeds. Transmission fluid is OK. I do not notice any strange noises coming from anywhere. Moving snow this winter and cutting and moving 16 cords of fire wood, the DIF LOCK worked fine. Due to an injury and surgery it had not been used for 3+ months. I had to move it, that is when I noticed that the DIF was locked and would not unlock. It will be another 1 - 2 months before I can do any real physical work to the tractor, [until I have fully recovered from the surgery, (have already tried to cheat the recovery time and PAID the price for it)]. If this requires taking the differential system apart, it will be a while before I can respond if your advice worked or not. I have a full parts list and workshop manual for the tractor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
This is so simple I am sure you have tried it, but just in case it helps---
On one of my tractors if I engage the diff lock it will say on until I pull up on the little foot pedal with my hand. Not sure why if sticks but I kind of like it so I can operate the foot throttle while using the diff lock.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Mine has stuck, too, if the tractor sits. Like Kubotasam suggested, I would pull up on the foot pedal, disengaging it. It sticks from lack of use- after pushing it down (engaging it fully), pulling back up, pushing back down- I did that about half a dozen times, it freed up.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
This is so simple I am sure you have tried it, but just in case it helps---
On one of my tractors if I engage the diff lock it will say on until I pull up on the little foot pedal with my hand. Not sure why if sticks but I kind of like it so I can operate the foot throttle while using the diff lock.
Mine has stuck, too, if the tractor sits. Like Kubotasam suggested, I would pull up on the foot pedal, disengaging it. It sticks from lack of use- after pushing it down (engaging it fully), pulling back up, pushing back down- I did that about half a dozen times, it freed up.
PEDAL DIFF LOCK, (the little pedal), and the CAM DIFF LOCK, ( the round steel rod that goes into the transmission and is moved by depressing or releasing the peddle), both move freely and when released fully disengage outside the tractor but the DIFF is still locked. ? ? ? ?

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
the shaft going thru the case on my b7200 used to get stuck a lot. I used to take a long piece of wood/prybar/whatever stick it in to place and tap it with a hammer. pulling up on the lever stopped cutting it. I spray it with lube every so often and used it more and it's not been an issue since.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
the shaft going thru the case on my b7200 used to get stuck a lot. I used to take a long piece of wood/prybar/whatever stick it in to place and tap it with a hammer. pulling up on the lever stopped cutting it. I spray it with lube every so often and used it more and it's not been an issue since.
Thank you for your reply.

The first thing that I did was what you suggested and it did not release the DIFF. I use the Diff lock and independent breaking almost every time I use the tractor. Two years ago I repainted the tractor and there is a distinct paint/no paint line where the, (CAM DIFF LOCK - "the shaft going thru the case "), goes into the transmission. This paint line indicates that the shaft is fully retracted.

Thanks again for your help.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
If that shaft is moving properly, your gonna have to tear into the gear case and inspect. Sounds like either something broke inside, or MAYBE there's a bad bur some where hanging it up. I've never had one of those apart but I'm assuming it works something like a shift fork in a tranny, There's really no way for it to not unlock unless something was physically broken/out of place.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If that shaft is moving properly, your gonna have to tear into the gear case and inspect. Sounds like either something broke inside, or MAYBE there's a bad bur some where hanging it up. I've never had one of those apart but I'm assuming it works something like a shift fork in a tranny, There's really no way for it to not unlock unless something was physically broken/out of place.
Unfortunately, tearing it dawn was the conclusion that I had come to before I started this thread. I was hoping against hope that someone might know a trick to free the DIFF up or a simple way to inspect it.

Oh well, the Dr. cleared me for "LIGHT WORK" yesterday. Tomorrow it goes into my garage to start tearing it down. Hope this qualifies an "LIGHT WORK". :D

Thanks again.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Apparently disassembling a tractor does not qualifies as "LIGHT WORK". :( Tried it a month ago and paid the price for it. Started the project again today. 2.5 hrs taking it slow and easy I have everything except the CYLINDER, O/P HY Part# 35260-37110 removed. The cylinder is completely unbolted but does not want to come off. Tried wrapping on it with a hammer, (not too hard), but it would not break free. Probably a good thing that it gave me some trouble because I was already hurting but would have continued to work on it if it had been cooperative.

Other than hammering on it to break it free, does anyone have a better idea on how to break the seal so the cylinder can be lifted off?

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Ouch!! That hurts. Do you have the differential out of the tractor? Or did you just fish out the broken spider gear? I am just wondering what else is broken or worn to make that happen.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Ouch!! That hurts. Do you have the differential out of the tractor? Or did you just fish out the broken spider gear? I am just wondering what else is broken or worn to make that happen.
I fished the gear pieces out, I'm sure there are more. The round object in the last photo is one of 2 diff locking pins, the other pin you can see in the first and second photo. At 4pm I was not ready to start disassembling the rear third of the tractor - to close to beer thirty and I need to drown my sorrows! :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Other than hammering on it to break it free, does anyone have a better idea on how to break the seal so the cylinder can be lifted off?
Breaking the cylinder free turned out to be easy once I knew how to do it. I took a 7 foot steel bar and with just a little upward force, it came apart. From the back of the tractor I inserted the bar under one of the 3pt lift arms rested the end on the transmission and gently lifted up on the bar.

It's amazing how simple things can be once you know how to do it. (got the answer from the local Kubota dealer) :cool:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I am having a problem getting Part Number - 35260-26720, Position - 018 (on diagram), Description - SHAFT DIFF GEAR LH, from coming out of Part Number - 37720-28190, Position - 012, Description - BOSS SPLINE in the break.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am not sure what diagram you are referring to. Do you have a service manual to help with the disassembly? I am guessing you need to pull the differential out of the tractor to work on it. That means pulling the final drives and axles out first.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I am not sure what diagram you are referring to. Do you have a service manual to help with the disassembly? I am guessing you need to pull the differential out of the tractor to work on it. That means pulling the final drives and axles out first.
I have a service manual and complete parts diagram from Messick's for this tractor.

The left tire and wheel are off and everything is unbolted. The left shaft that goes into the diff is free and moved back and forth but will not come out through the brake disc.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I wish I could be more help but it is just guessing on my part now. Hopefully someone who has had one apart will chime in.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
PARTS NEEDED!
I need to source these parts from a junk yard or any other place. So far I am not having any luck. :(

http://kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx
scroll down check the box - I accept the Term and Conditions
MODEL NAME - enter L275 - click on search
under BOOK - click on OPEN
click on - +BODY - [to expand]
click on - 046000 DIFFERENTIAL LOCK PEDAL - [to expand]
I need - NO 1, Part Number 34150-26615, SHIFTER DIFF LOCK
I need - NO 16, Part Number 09500-16287, SEAL OIL - NEED 2

click on - 065000 DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEM - [to expand]
I need - NO 7, Part Number 35200-26100, ASSY DIFFERENTIAL

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Ouch, that looks expensive. Not to mention all the time I can see you have in it already,
Good luck!