Diesel storage / shelf life.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The storage life of diesel hadn’t occurred to me until recent.

Checking online the most common shelf life is said to be 6-12 months. (pretty wide latitude)

Gives me something new to worry about…. I have a 160 gal storage tank that sits out in the sun year round and gets pretty warm here in Tx. I only refill it about once a year and run the fuel in 3 different machines without any issues. (I do treat it with Biobor JF and with Diesel Stabil. Haven’t worried about for several years …until now.)

I hate it when I can’t find someone online to tell me what I want to believe.

IMG_1669.jpeg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The storage life of diesel hadn’t occurred to me until recent.

Checking online the most common shelf life is said to be 6-12 months. (pretty wide latitude)

Gives me something new to worry about…. I have a 160 gal storage tank that sits out in the sun year round and gets pretty warm here in Tx. I only refill it about once a year and run the fuel in 3 different machines without any issues. (I do treat it with Biobor JF and with Diesel Stabil. Haven’t worried about for several years …until now.)

I hate it when I can’t find someone online to tell me what I want to believe.

View attachment 140159
Does your filter I see on your tank eliminate water? I have a water filter on my bulk tank and both my tractor and excavator have never had water in their on board water separator. Before putting fuel into my machines, I run the fuel back into the tank to flush any crap out of the nozzle. Just takes a few seconds.
I use a "winter grade" diesel year round. It cost a bit more but I don't use a lot. My diesel can be in the bulk tank for years with never an issue.
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
That's a real nice set up.

My two diesel-eaters don't use a lot, but I usually have about 15-20 gallons in a tank that's stored in my tractor barn.

I've not had an issue with storage maybe 6 mo to a year before being topped off after project work. I have a desiccant filter that I recharge when it turns pink and haven't seen any water show up.

Curious what others have experienced.

1729338726456.png