D1005 Rebuild Tutorials

MaineSpring

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7500HSD, RCK60-24 MMM, B2320 w/ LA304
I have a D1005 on my B7500 that blows bubbles in the reserve tank and is hard to start without starting fluid. I'm assuming that it needs a head gasket and new rings (Original owner sold it with a hole punched in the radiator). If you question that diagnosis, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Does anyone have links or suggestions on good rebuild tutorials for these engines? I've looked through the forum and bumped around YouTube without finding anything satisfactory. Maybe I'm missing something....

It's a "YAxxx" SN, so I'm calling it a 2000 manufacture date.

Thank you!

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Blowing bubbles could be a couple of things.........

IS there ANY water in the oil?

Any oil in the water/ reserve tank?

For your sake I hope it needs a gasket and rings (pistons too) but there could be a cracked head to go along with this.

I bet you know - starting fluid for a diesel is a real no-no - but you have to do what you have to do!

HAVE you done a compression check? This would be the first thing in the list to do.

MaineSpring

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7500HSD, RCK60-24 MMM, B2320 w/ LA304
IS there ANY water in the oil?

Any oil in the water/ reserve tank?

For your sake I hope it needs a gasket and rings (pistons too) but there could be a cracked head to go along with this.
I'll look more closely, but I haven't seen any from a casual dipstick check. Got less than 10 hours on the oil.

I bet you know - starting fluid for a diesel is a real no-no - but you have to do what you have to do!
Yeeesss, but it never hurts to be reminded.

One anomaly is that when I changed the starter, it suddenly cranked up like a champ. Before a new starter I could not get it to fire without cranking for a nerve-wracking length of time (worried about burning up the starter), or then giving it a sip of starting fluid. Now that the new starter has some time on it, it has reverted to its old habits. Not sure how to read the data on this one.

HAVE you done a compression check? This would be the first thing in the list to do.
Didn't think of that. Will do. Might be a few weeks before I get a chance to work on it though.