D1005 Compression issues

pblakeway

Sep 24, 2018
Huddersfield
I have a D1005 in an Aste a175 compact, bought at auction ( so no returns, and seemed to run fine at the auction)
It was taking a long time turning over to get started but when it did start it seemed to run pretty well.
Checked the glow plugs, all OK on impedance test so figured the next step was compression test, might as well rule out anything really nasty..
in order from front the dry test came back as 320/180/310, squirting a little oil ( only about 3ccs) through the injector hole on cylinder 2 only it then returns around 280.
These are cold tests as its not easy to get started so I'm assuming a bit low on the outer 2 cylinders isn't too much of a worry, so did not perform wet test on these.
I took off the rocker cover and valves all appear to be functioning, but i did see some air/exuast gas coming out of the head when no 2 was compressed

Im not a mechanic but have basic knowledge on how engines work, and can follow service manual instructions.
Can anyone recommend a next step, should i be popping the cylinder head off for a proper look before i pass it over to an expensive repair bill.
Am i correct in my thinking the oil in the wet test pretty much just seals the piston rings and that is a good diagnostic for this, if it were bent con rod for example the wet test should return similar results to dry ?