Cylinder not working

two4cadence

Jun 14, 2024
California
I have a L1501 DT. I know it's a "grey" tractor and its equivalent is the L185. I think only one cylinder is working, the one closer to the driver. It has a lack of power. It can't go up a hill without stalling. It has what I call a "flabby" sound to the exhaust. When I crack the fuel line at each injector while its running, the rpms drop only at the cylinder closer to the driver. At that injector the fuel just overflows while the rpms are dropping. On the "bad" cylinder, when I crack the line the fuel comes out under pressure, but with no change in rpms. I removed both injectors and cleaned them well. I replaced them and started the tractor, and everything was the same, as if I had done no injector cleaning at all.

The fuel filter was junky and the fuel shut off valve was clogged shut. I replaced the filter and fuel line and cleaned the valve. Fuel flows freely now to the pump and injectors. The only thing I can suspect is the fuel line to the "bad" injector is somehow clogged, but I doubt that. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks,Chris

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
More information please.

Has this happened suddenly or over time or is the tractor “new” to you?

BUT you could move the injectors around and see what happens. Does the bad cylinder come alive or stay dead. Is the good cylinder still alive or is it now dead?

And you may want to remove the lines and clean them out. Hold the larger nut steady at the pump when trying to get the line off!

I would probably just buy new injectors and seal washers and replace them both IF the tractor ran fine recently. The injectors should be purchased from the dealer or from Oregon Fuel Injection (OFI) not Amazon! The injectors could be rebuilt by a shop or OFI since I am not sure how you cleaned them.

two4cadence

Jun 14, 2024
California
More information please.

Has this happened suddenly or over time or is the tractor “new” to you?

BUT you could move the injectors around and see what happens. Does the bad cylinder come alive or stay dead. Is the good cylinder still alive or is it now dead?

And you may want to remove the lines and clean them out. Hold the larger nut steady at the pump when trying to get the line off!

I would probably just buy new injectors and seal washers and replace them both IF the tractor ran fine recently. The injectors should be purchased from the dealer or from Oregon Fuel Injection (OFI) not Amazon! The injectors could be rebuilt by a shop or OFI since I am not sure how you cleaned them.

I've had the tractor for a couple of years, but rarely used it, and usually not demanding too much from it when I did. This season,however, I ran a small flail mower off it at proper rpm and it worked well for about an hour before it lost power. That's when I discovered the clogged fuel shut off valve. I fixed that and it didn't help. That is when I removed the injectors, cleaned them and replaced them.

I cleaned the injectors by taking them each apart and soaking them in Seafoam for two days, taking the parts out and spraying them with carb cleaner along with all the openings I could find on the injectors, then I reassembled the injector and filled it with ATF before I screwed the two halves together. I like your idea about swapping injectors around. I'm not sure if I replaced the injectors in their original cylinder. I lost track on that. If i swap them out, could I reuse the copper washer. They were new today when I replaced the injectors

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've had the tractor for a couple of years, but rarely used it, and usually not demanding too much from it when I did. This season,however, I ran a small flail mower off it at proper rpm and it worked well for about an hour before it lost power. That's when I discovered the clogged fuel shut off valve. I fixed that and it didn't help. That is when I removed the injectors, cleaned them and replaced them.

I cleaned the injectors by taking them each apart and soaking them in Seafoam for two days, taking the parts out and spraying them with carb cleaner along with all the openings I could find on the injectors, then I reassembled the injector and filled it with ATF before I screwed the two halves together. I like your idea about swapping injectors around. I'm not sure if I replaced the injectors in their original cylinder. I lost track on that. If i swap them out, could I reuse the copper washer. They were new today when I replaced the injectors
Why would you fill the injectors with ATF????

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes you can re-use the copper washers.

They are being “work hardened” every time you use them but should still be able to seal under a few usage cycles.

I personally just replace relatively cheap parts with new when I have the time and I don’t know the history of the part. It may be a waste of money but I get peace of mind. I would not repl them in your situation.

There is also a way to test the injector’s spray pattern while you have them off. You remove the injectors. Get one of the lines between the injector pump and injector arranged so the injector can be attached but hanging “in open space”.

(A)
Loosen the line at the injector and bleed out the air, then tighten it up.

DO NOT PUT ANY BODY PART NEAR THE TIP OF THE INJECTOR! The fuel could be injected through your skin and could cause you pain or death. Not something to be foolish about! Also wear safety glasses if you are going to be looking at the injector tip.

Place a clean piece of cardboard a couple of inches away from the tip of the injector and crank the engine until the injector cracks and see the spray pattern. It should be a mist and fairly circular (I think).
(B)

You may want to repeat this several times and then swap to the other injector starting at (A) and stopping at (B).

I have never done it but you may be able to search this forum or the internet to find out more information on the pattern you should see. I think it is pretty obvious when you do this if the pattern is not good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As an added cleaner. Old timers I know used to run ATF through their diesels occasionally to clean the pump and injectors. I have an old Isuzu diesel truck and when I change the fuel filter out, I fill the new one with ATF. Seems to work well.
I'm sorry but that doesn't clean the injectors, it could possibly have damaged them!
Someone has lead you on a dark path of wives tales!