Coon Problem

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Any ideas on how to get rid of coons? They are in my barn at night, I see their tracks. I really can't set traps, I have live traps, but also have barn cats that are half wild and I am sure they would get in the traps before the coons. They must come in late because I have not been able to catch site of them. They have made their "latrine", that really is the term for where they go to the bathroom, on top of the tack shed.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you sure it’s raccoons, or could it be skunks, porcupine, opossum, fisher, etc?

Doesn’t really matter as they’re all nocturnal and resourceful.

Of course, limiting access to food that might be attracting them is a good start.

Limiting access to a barn can be difficult.

Illumination is proven to discourage bats, but guessing these guys would be acclimated very quickly.

That’s a tough one without a .22LR or a live trap.

Even then you don’t want to take the chance of getting sideways with game laws…..

Maybe a game camera to see how they’re getting in?

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Any ideas on how to get rid of coons? They are in my barn at night, I see their tracks. I really can't set traps, I have live traps, but also have barn cats that are half wild and I am sure they would get in the traps before the coons. They must come in late because I have not been able to catch site of them. They have made their "latrine", that really is the term for where they go to the bathroom, on top of the tack shed.
Assuming that access can’t be closed off (do you know how getting in?)…id start with a comfortable lawn chair (like a turkey lounger), partnered with ATF and a good dog. (Bourbon, cigar, favorite plinker and some .22 shorts if you can find them…if not worried about holes take it up notch…go ahead and buy some flex seal tape though😂…if worried about holes or safe angles to plink, maybe have a pitchfork handy.

Good luck. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did hear the big kids talking about flybait mixed with grape soda,, seem they are DOA before they hit the ground

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I did hear the big kids talking about flybait mixed with grape soda,, seem they are DOA before they hit the ground
Heard something about that too…someone told me about that as I saw my boat sink…my understanding from the person was the soda pop cocktail is not selective and it’s helpful to have a BH…so they said….i wouldn’t know.

• Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Set your live trap and if you catch a cat leave it in the trap a day or so. Once released they won't get back in. Eventually you will catch the coons.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have found that a strobe light on a timer works well.
A radio may help also.

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
Is a known fact that coons and ground hogs are born with a lead deficiency…… I trap them inject some lead and relocate them! 😜 They are so destructive. I spent several thousand dollars fixing my farm pound from what the ground hogs did to it…….

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Bait the live trap with sweet corn, they love it, and cats won't touch it.
that works-I've done it. Then relocate the coons. I don't care to just shoot them because around here the carcass attracts coyotes and especially buzzards. Buzzards will destroy car paint in short order.

had 5 coons on the front porch the other night, one of them on it's hind legs in the kitchen window looking in. Indoor cat "enjoyed" that. Nose to nose through the window.

last year I had to put a coon down, was acting weird. Just left it's carcass out in the field. Few nights later the inside cat woke me up hollering, and I was sleepin with the window open, I look over and the coyote was in the window screen and the cat on the inside, nose to nose. Had to put that coyote down too but i haven't seen too many more around. Thankfully.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Talking to a local animal control person they said relocation is illegal here, they basically get the coon out of the house and release at the end of the driveway. A little lead sounds less cruel than some of those "traps".

• Wow

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
My go to coon trap is the hand trap, such as Duke's. I fill it with cat food. My barn cats leave the food in the traps alone as does my dog. I have trapped over 20 coons with it. Here in my county located in South Texas we have both coon and hog problems. The county ag extension office has endorsed the removal of the coons. I made a steel trap holder that allows me to place it inside a round metal oil drain pan. I tried the cheaper plastic ones by the trapped coon chewed them up. The pan is then filled with about a gallon of water. The water forms a moat around the trap holder and security chain, thus preventing fire ants from attacking the bait. Works very well. If you purchase one of the Duke's trasps get the simple setting tool as well, makes setting the trap very easy. If anyone is interested I can post photos of my setup.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Bait the live trap with sweet corn, they love it, and cats won't touch it.
When I bought a live trap, I first baited it with a can of tuna as recommended by the pest control guy. First night I caught a black cat. It had rained that night and he was not happy. When I released him, he shot out never to be seen again. Then I started thinking, since the coons had been raiding my suet feeders, I wired an ear of feed corn to the trap floor and smeared suet on it. Worked like a champ, first night, and I don't think cats would go for it. Skunks and possums I'm not so sure.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you trap a skunk simply take an old sheet and hold it up in front of you as you walk up to the trap and lay the sheet over the entire trap. Then pick up the tap by the handle, through the sheet, and carry it outside. You can gently pull the sheet up and release the catch mechanism and use a screwdriver to hold the door open.

Last time I had a skunk in a trap I did as detailed, but I had a Ruger 22 bull Barrel with a 9 shot clip that I emptied and never hit it. I'm an excellent shot!!!!! ;);)

• Haha

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Lead is the answer. Find some folk with night vision spectacles. Maybe buy them some suds for their time.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I already have live traps the corn bait might do the trick, my barn cats are curious but like said they will learn after a few times, no harm no foul. They are definitely coons, I can read tracks pretty well, plus I don't think any other mentioned species has a latrine.