Consequences of severe overheating?

or31acres

Equipment
B7100 of unknown vintage bought used in 1993; 2008 GR2110
Jun 27, 2024
Oregon
Wife mows the lawn with the GR2110 and listens to audiobooks while she's doing it. Tractor overheated and she didn't see the warning light in the bright sun, and didn't hear the telltale hissing. Didn't notice anything until it lost power.

After refilling cooling system, it started and ran, shitty for a few seconds then it evened out but seemed a bit sluggish. Oil seems thin and stinks to high heaven - changing it, obviously.

Don't need any help understanding how to avoid this - obviously we screwed up letting coolant get low and weedy stuff clog radiator.

Wondering whether anyone has been down this road and what the damage might be. Anyone had fuel get into the crankcase after overheating? What blows?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Wife mows the lawn with the GR2110 and listens to audiobooks while she's doing it. Tractor overheated and she didn't see the warning light in the bright sun, and didn't hear the telltale hissing. Didn't notice anything until it lost power.

After refilling cooling system, it started and ran, shitty for a few seconds then it evened out but seemed a bit sluggish. Oil seems thin and stinks to high heaven - changing it, obviously.

Don't need any help understanding how to avoid this - obviously we screwed up letting coolant get low and weedy stuff clog radiator.

Wondering whether anyone has been down this road and what the damage might be. Anyone had fuel get into the crankcase after overheating? What blows?

Thanks!
Not familiar with GR2110. Gasoline or diesel? Evidence of exterior leakage?

In either case, very serious damage could have been caused rendering the engine not cost effective to rebuild. Will need to disassemble to be certain.

• Love

or31acres

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Oregon
Not familiar with GR2110. Gasoline or diesel? Evidence of exterior leakage?

In either case, very serious damage could have been caused rendering the engine not cost effective to rebuild. Will need to disassemble to be certain.
Kubota three-cyl diesel, 778cc. Yes, I understand what's possible. Trying to learn what's likely/common with these. We can't be the first to have committed this gross injustice to a fine machine...

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Scuffed pistons, cylinder damage, warped head, valve seat migration, injector nozzle damage...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As you well understand - check coolant level - clean radiator well, and then clean it again.
Change oil if you wish.

Start and have a infrared thermometer and take some reading as you "cut" grass - engage the blades even if not cutting.

The running poorly sounds to me a bearing was binding in the crank or perhaps piston.

I will tell you this story - I had a friend of mine change the oil in his gas rider ............ and then got ready to crank it up, I asked - you placed new filter and filled oil up? Yes, yes he said!

Oil was dry - and engine started and then 30 seconds later locked up ............ HE THEN filled it with oil and it ran for a long time ...........

Reactions: 1 users

or31acres

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Oregon
As you well understand - check coolant level - clean radiator well, and then clean it again.
Change oil if you wish.

Start and have a infrared thermometer and take some reading as you "cut" grass - engage the blades even if not cutting.

The running poorly sounds to me a bearing was binding in the crank or perhaps piston.

I will tell you this story - I had a friend of mine change the oil in his gas rider ............ and then got ready to crank it up, I asked - you placed new filter and filled oil up? Yes, yes he said!

Oil was dry - and engine started and then 30 seconds later locked up ............ HE THEN filled it with oil and it ran for a long time ...........
LOL! I have definitely had these kinds of experiences with engines of various sorts. We'll see how it goes after oil change. My main concern is the possibility of fuel getting into the crankcase. I'll be watching that carefully.

And I was wondering about auto-cutoff - should have one from the factory!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Thanks!
"don't need any help understanding how to avoid this"
I disagree!
Try listening to audio books while in bed, instead of while operating machinery.

or31acres

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Oregon
"don't need any help understanding how to avoid this"
I disagree!
Try listening to audio books while in bed, instead of while operating machinery.
Can I get you to come explain that to my wifey? :p

or31acres

Equipment
Jun 27, 2024
Oregon
Thanks for all the replies folks. After an oil change it seems to be running normally and the only consequence I can detect is that the valve cover gasket seems to have failed - oil seeping pretty much all the way around. If that's all it is I'll be thanking the stars!

• Love

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The most common issue with an overheat is a cracked head, not much else.
If it's running great, buy a lottery ticket and carry on!

Reactions: 2 users