Clunking Right Rear Wheel L295DT

Soiled

Equipment
L295DT
Aug 16, 2024
29 Palms
So I've been experiencing this noise and now fairly sure it’s within the axle compartment with all the bolts that holds the stem upon which the wheel is attached. I tried dragging the right brake some to see if that might help but it did not. What made a difference was to drop the Gannon off the 3 point to allow for attaching a quick hitch. No clunking at all, low or high gearing and at a fair gallop. Quick hitch on and Gannon reattached, again clunking. Not really noticeable in reverse. In the operator’s manual for this tractor on page 55….22.Rear Axle Group I’m thinking the Gear, spur 74 as suspect but wouldn’t that still be clunking if at fault without the Gannon attached? Thoughts? Don’t really want to remove the tire and start digging into the rear case if that may not be the issue.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please clarify if the tractor is clunking while you are using the Gannon blade or just driving around with the Gannon blade on the tractor. I am not sure which one you mean.

If it is just driving around then I would try some other implement on the rear and see if it clunks or not.

You might want to check the rear lug nuts for tightness before you do anything else.

Soiled

Equipment
L295DT
Aug 16, 2024
29 Palms
Please clarify if the tractor is clunking while you are using the Gannon blade or just driving around with the Gannon blade on the tractor. I am not sure which one you mean.

If it is just driving around then I would try some other implement on the rear and see if it clunks or not.

You might want to check the rear lug nuts for tightness before you do anything else.

This is occurring with the Gannon raised up driving around. The lugs are tight. I checked them torqued to specs. In attaching the quick hitch I noticed the lower arms were pinned in the 2nd back hole which the manual states not to do. I switched them to the first hole as recommended. Also there was quite a bit of swing prior to my attaching the quick hitch but there was no noticeable marks of rubbing on the tire or other components. I don’t know if those settings from the previous owner might place undue stress on the rear wheel. I do have a blade that I can attach as you have recommended and can change out the Gannon for it. Can’t give it a go at the moment but will sometime later this weekend. Thanks

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
What you're describing could well be loose connections where the wheel center meets the rim. The nuts and bolts maybe tight, but only rusted tight. The joint may still be loose. That noise is usually a clunking sound that's sporadic. Noises coming from gear teeth tend to be more rhythmic and consistent. Look for any shiny metal near those joints.