Clacking noise D902

flmeade

Equipment
Exmark diesel D902
Jun 21, 2024
Oxford, MI
While mowing with my D902 I noticed a change in the engine sound. It started making a clattering noise so I shut it down and it then stalled when I pulled the throttle down to idle. It was yesterday and in the high 80's.
It didn't want to restart and acted like the engine had seized up, very slow turn over and I noticed that the engine temp which had been reading in the middle was suddenly pegged over.
Let it cool down for about 30 minutes and it read full cold and started right back up but with the clacking noise still present.
Pulled it inside and let the cool for 3 hours.
Checked for oil or fuel in the radiator, none.
No coolant in the oil.
The exhaust is clear with no white or black smoke.
Did have an issue with fuel delivery from one tank last week which I cured by taking the tank switch loose from the system and applied air pressure and then all was fine.
To be sure I pumped out both tanks and filtered the fuel and found only a minute amount of debris in both tanks.
The no smoke has me stumped.
Is it possible for an injector to be completely plugged giving me the clacking noise but no telltale smoke.
It will rev right up to operating rpm's but clacks away.
Doesn't seem to have lost any power but afraid to run it till I figure out what causing the noise.
Any suggestions welcome.
Been running great for many years and maintained. Oil changes every 50 hours with new filter every 100 hours.
Radiator just cleaned, new cap and correct antifreeze.

flmeade

Equipment
Exmark diesel D902
Jun 21, 2024
Oxford, MI
clacking noise and high heat... I suspect a bad water pump ?
The temp gauge runs steady right in the middle and was where it was when this started. It was the first thing I looked at when this noise started. Is that seem normal for a D902.
Takes me about 4 hours to mow the farm and it holds steady right there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I noticed that the engine temp which had been reading in the middle was suddenly pegged over.
this could be when the pumps fins broke off the shaft and now they're jammed on, pumping water BUT not lined up ...

or you could have a radiator fan blade hitting some 'tin'.