Checking fluid levels in BX25

OffGridiot

Equipment
BX25, Landpride Grapple, Farm King rear blade
Jul 18, 2014
Texada Island, B. C. Canada
Hello all,
Forgive me if this subject has been addressed elsewhere but I seem to be having problems (on 2 different computers) conducting a search (the search text entry box keeps disappearing immediately after clicking on the search....thingy).

I've just taken on the servicing of my 2012 BX25 for the 400 hour interval. Part of that is changing the oil in the front end. My manual gives a somewhat vague description of doing so, as well as the capacity of what to put back in. The main question has to do with checking for the correct level. I put a little less than the stated amount, then waited ten minutes or so, started the machine and rolled it back and forth a few times and turned the front wheels back and forth a few times with the steering wheel to distribute oil to any nooks or crannies in there, and then went back to check the level. The trouble for me was wondering if I was supposed to be putting the dipstick back into it's full depth (which requires quite a push... a bang, even from a mallet) or if I should merely place it in until the resistance is felt where the o-ring first makes contact with the opening. The difference between the readings of the two options is considerable, it seems to me. I don't want to be potentially risking any seal damage from overfilling or any such thing.

I have the same concern (but to a much smaller degree) with the dipstick situation for the tranny/hydraulic dipstick. It also kinda clicks into place for normal operation but the difference between the same 2 options (set in to merely make contact with the o-ring, or snapped in tight) isn't as big a difference as with the front end dipstick, AND it's to measure a much larger capacity (where you've got a little more leeway for an acceptable level).

Thank you!
Bruce

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
As for the tranny fluid, manual clearly states to "replace the cap" then check again. That implies putting the cap fully back into its operating position. (Page 70 of my user manual under periodic service)
The manual is not clear on the front axle dipstick, but I would assume the same logic applies, unless someone here posts otherwise.

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I kind of agree about checking the fluid after replacing the dipstick fully seated. My front axle is kind of a pain in the a$$ also, but need to check after a 5-10 hours of operation. I had to add to the front axle after factory fill. Then also did a full oil replacement at 50 hours, engine, hydrolic, front axle. Have also done 2 antifreeze flushes already, one after installing block heater and 1 a couple years later switching to Zerez G5.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You have it filled ok cool now take it out and drive it around a bit the level will change a bit. park her let it set then check again, with the caps fully inserted in the housing, you might find it a little low add some and then drive on and have fun,,,errrr I mean get your work done, yeah thats it work :D

OffGridiot

Equipment
BX25, Landpride Grapple, Farm King rear blade
Jul 18, 2014
Texada Island, B. C. Canada
Thanks guys....(and/or gals)
I really appreciate the input and wisdom.....and humor.
I'm still, after 400+ hours of operation into this unit, constantly blown away by how blurry the line is between getting work done and having fun. My wife has commented more than once about the silly grin on my face when I'm busy 'WORKING' ;) with it.

Cheers!