Check your

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tire valves, I had a low tire on the BX, so I pumped it up to the required 20 psi, checked the pressure and turned away and almost got a hole in my ear. The valve shot out it hit the wall and the tire deflated. Turns out there were no threads on the valve, who knows how it stayed in as long as it did. I put a new valve in and it screwed in fine, and holds air. So just watch your eyes and ear when you pump up a tire.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I've not previously heard of a valve stem going bad, mine are brass or stainless, so this is an interesting learning experience for me. What exactly happened? Was it the valve stem or core that went bad?

Maybe update the thread title so it's less generic?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Pictures of the defective valve are needed. The stems on my 2019 BX23S are rubber valve stems.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Pictures of the defective valve are needed. The stems on my 2019 BX23S are rubber valve stems.
Dusty the valve is a standard tire valve, the brass sides where the threads are suppose to be were smooth so if it was bad and just jammed in or wedged in the rubber body, I cant say. And you know I dont have a phone to take a picture, so when one of the grand kids show up I will try to remember and have them take one

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Whenever airing-up a tire… it’s a good idea to keep your head and body away from the tire as much as possible in the event a tire sidewall or belt “blows”. Consider placing the fender between your head and the tire and standing as far from the tire as possible.
When a tire fails…it is explosive…and can be seriously injurious or fatal.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I have a remote air inflater (multi-range, just change out the quick-change dial indicator, certified up to 600 PSI), however as far as I understand, explosion is not much of a concern on tractor or other low-pressure tires. Generally you should hear a "zipper" sound as a dry-rotted or damaged tire starts to pull apart and the cords break/separate, and it's not violent--scary, and you should get far away fast and in-line with the vehicle so the vehicle body shields you from a potential explosion, but generally not violent.

However, over 32 PSI like with the newer 52 PSI vehicle tires, small high-pressure trailer tires, and of course large truck tires with lots of surface area and pressure are dangerous. Tires are designed to not explode, and for the most part deflate slowly (as designed), so generally people are safe inflating tires that haven't sat flat for a while.

Life in Thailand is different, they sometimes use a hot iron to carve new treads in old tires without re-capping them, so a tire of dubious construction to start with that has new treads carved in is much thinner than operationally designed, so a blowout is "kind of expected" in my estimation.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a tire expert, I have a few hobbies and modifying vehicles is one of them, and although I've been doing it a long time it's still just "my take" based on experience and nothing more. I comment on some threads with the hope the contribution is helpful.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I had a pontoon boat trailer that had 10 inch 10 ply tires requiring 90 psi. Blew the brass center right out of a valve like that because the idiots that mounted the tire used standard car tire valves that are only good to 75 pounds. I buy high pressure valves now for everything.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Whenever airing-up a tire… it’s a good idea to keep your head and body away from the tire as much as possible in the event a tire sidewall or belt “blows”. Consider placing the fender between your head and the tire and standing as far from the tire as possible.
When a tire fails…it is explosive…and can be seriously injurious or fatal.

That isn't a car tire, but a truck tire. The way that they all moved away from where they were seated, I am inclined to believe that this was a setup to blow the tire apart. I can't believe that anyone is stupid enough to put an air chuck onto a tire valve stem and walk away. Assuming that the compressor tank holds 150 PSI it wouldn't take very long before the tire was inflated to operating condition.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That isn't a car tire, but a truck tire. The way that they all moved away from where they were seated, I am inclined to believe that this was a setup to blow the tire apart. I can't believe that anyone is stupid enough to put an air chuck onto a tire valve stem and walk away. Assuming that the compressor tank holds 150 PSI it wouldn't take very long before the tire was inflated to operating condition.