Cheater, cheater.........

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well, I have this weird fascination with welding and metal working, and one of the things that kind of bothers me is my inability to get good looking welds on circular parts.

Maybe more "torch time" is what I need, but the reality is that I just don't have the time.

Therefore, I decided to "cheat".

The "Amazon Fairy" visited me recently and here she is.

20240525_110012[1].jpg

This is an "itch" that I have been wanting to scratch for quite some time.

Taaaa daaahhhhh......my first "welding positioner"

20240525_110434[1].jpg

My first thoughts are

1. Looks good'ish.
2. Chuck is puny.....I kind of knew this, but it was even smaller than my "minds eye" had pictured it.
3. The "turntable" itself is of decent size.

I also decided to grab an "arm rest" to help keep my had/arm a little more steady (pictured on the right)

20240525_111103[1].jpg

The "directions" (if you want to call them that) say that the max amperage is 85A, but I figure that is due to the tiny ground clamp wire they have on it.

So I plan to ground it directly the the "big lug" and bypass the small grounding wire.

Ohhhh boy....I'm getting excited to lay down some awesome beads

Off to the scrap pile to search for some "practice rounds".

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
after a minute of scrounging, I came up with some 'donor scraps"

They were a little on the thick side, but what the hell. Turn the machine to 125A and "off we go"

The first bead was bad.......I mean, real bad. The term "hammered dog sh!t" comes to mind, and I am not a happy camper.....

20240525_113354[1].jpg

I mean WTF is going on here?

There was something "off" about the pass, it just did not feel right, but damn......

It looks like Helen Keller did this......

I will admit that at first I had to make some adjustments to the speed to get her "dialed in", but this is nuts...

Then it hit me like a sack of hammers......You were in "DC mode" and forgot to turn on the gas, dumbass!!!!!!!

1716891139141.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hahahah in my excitement to lay down a "perfect stack of dimes" , I just grabbed the torch, and 'went to town"...... 😂 😂 😂

Luckily I had enough sense about me to turn on the the water for the torch.

laying down a crappy bead is funny......but burning up a ~250+ dollar torch is not.

Ok lets have another go at it.....But this time in AC mode AND lets use shielding gas........

20240525_113340[1].jpg

Not bad for the "first real try"......Not a "perfect bead" but with some practice I think I can get some decent beads going.

The potential is definitely there.

Here are some more passes. Some good, some not so good, but for day 1, hour 1, I am happy.

20240525_113911[1].jpg

20240525_115442[1].jpg

20240525_130211[1].jpg

20240525_130847[1].jpg

I still have a lot of practicing to do, but I do believe that this will be an overall "worthwhile addition" to the tool arsenal.

Hahaha.....The "down side" is that now I need a machine with a 100% duty cycle ....Gotta figure out how to "pitch that one" to SWMBO....

I was using it for so long, there was a small fire in the "gear area"....I blew it out, and it still works, so I think it was just some "packaging lube" that "needed" to be burned off.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The one thing that I do not like is this "spindle" that sticks up for the chuck

20240527_120059[1].jpg

I then pulled the table to find this.

20240527_120036[1].jpg

Hmmmm, that is going to be a slight problem.

For one of my projects, I will need a "flat table" because the part has no "hole in the middle"

It almost appears that the "spindle base" is 2 pieces, but it was not budging when I tried to loosen it and I did not want to put "undo pressure" on the tiny gears that spin this table.

I'm going to have to think about this???????

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1... that's has to be the most expensive coffee cup anyone's made.......
but nobody will be stealing it from you !!!

2.. you need to buy a big metal lathe and turn a chunk of steel into a 'spacing disc'

3..now buy a big floor mounted drill press with indexing table to drill 2 sets of 3 holes. one set to bolt disc to new toy, 2nd to bolt the turntable platter on.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You are ready to get a job welding Kubota loaders and backhoes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You are on your way! Practice, practice, practice. I like what I am seeing in your progression! Congratulations on the new toy

Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I was also thinking coffee mug. You need to make a nice one out of stainless. Then when people ask about it, you can tell them all about your turn table and other projects. 😁

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
As far as the threaded shaft sticking up, can you make a threaded plate that will bring you up above it. Even better would be one thick enough so it is a blind hole so you can't damage (hope fully) the shaft.

Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
thanks for taking the time to post your journey for us! I learned a few things. Good job. Happy welding! 👍👍👍

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A man has gota do what a man has to gota do when a man has to do it

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’m not sure what the machine does. Is it just something to rotate the material? If so, it looks like a small piece would work fine, but what about a large irregular length piece?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’m not sure what the machine does. Is it just something to rotate the material? If so, it looks like a small piece would work fine, but what about a large irregular length piece?
I see a future installment coming from Runs With Scissors. 😊

After getting bored with producing superior welds on circular items using his rotating table, he decides to improve his abilities by welding rectangular shapes on his rotating table.

The goal is to become superior by not only controlling the length of the art as the material moves under it, but also maintaining the length of the arc as the material moves towards and away from the torch tip, due to the irregular shape of the item as it turns!

I can’t wait for the next installment!

• Haha

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
after a minute of scrounging, I came up with some 'donor scraps"

They were a little on the thick side, but what the hell. Turn the machine to 125A and "off we go"

The first bead was bad.......I mean, real bad. The term "hammered dog sh!t" comes to mind, and I am not a happy camper.....

View attachment 129437

I mean WTF is going on here?

There was something "off" about the pass, it just did not feel right, but damn......

It looks like Helen Keller did this......

I will admit that at first I had to make some adjustments to the speed to get her "dialed in", but this is nuts...

Then it hit me like a sack of hammers......You were in "DC mode" and forgot to turn on the gas, dumbass!!!!!!!

View attachment 129438
That is an acceptable weld in my garage.

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Perhaps you mentioned it but are you using TIG or MIG? Not easy to get good "dimes." Nice work. Please keep posting.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
As far as the threaded shaft sticking up, can you make a threaded plate that will bring you up above it. Even better would be one thick enough so it is a blind hole so you can't damage (hope fully) the shaft.
Yea, I have a few ideas floating around. I just have to settle on one.

But something like you suggest is top of the list right now, thanks! (y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yes, it is for small'ish round pieces. It basically rotates the work, in order to eliminate the need of the person welding to move around.

"Welding Positioners" for large work can cost many thousands of dollars; However, for a shop of my size, this little bugger will do for now.

I am pretty sure that smaller irregular pieces can be done too, I just haven't tried any yet.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I see a future installment coming from Runs With Scissors. 😊

After getting bored with producing superior welds on circular items using his rotating table, he decides to improve his abilities by welding rectangular shapes on his rotating table.

The goal is to become superior by not only controlling the length of the art as the material moves under it, but also maintaining the length of the arc as the material moves towards and away from the torch tip, due to the irregular shape of the item as it turns!

I can’t wait for the next installment!

Thanks!!!! I am looking forward to doing it!!!!🍸(y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Perhaps you mentioned it but are you using TIG or MIG? Not easy to get good "dimes." Nice work. Please keep posting.

I did fail to mention it, but it is TIG.

Thanks for the encouragement....(y)