Carryall made from leaf blower and porch leftovers

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Other than buying some more screws, it's all stuff that was laying around I couldn't throw away. Everything can come in handy at some point :) RFM's have replaced the DIY 3-point leaf blower so it was decommissioned. I stripped the blower from the frame and made revisions to the top link and lifting steel connection, and added PT 2x4 nailers. The frame keeps the carryall deck elevated.

#3 Son had a whole bunch of ~20" pieces (and even a few full lengths) of 1" thick T&G PVC decking left from his front porch replacement that he wanted to toss. That was a project I helped him with a year or two ago. The material was specially ordered and he couldn't return 3 full 16-footers ($75 each!). It was almost a shame we didn't mess up on a few cuts to make the full length leftovers not be leftovers.

We don't have a large property, but it has often been a hassle to chase after gasoline for the pressure washer, mixed gas for various tools and batteries for others. The 095 string line is in the old shed when the spool runs empty . Then I want to switch to a different cutter or want the extension on the Stihl Kombi. I'm parched and the water bottle needs a refill. I frequently have the gas and/or cordless chain saw and the pole saw out at the same time. Batteries, chains, lube and fuels are needed.

Time to put the seldom-used Ford to work. Since everything happens on 3-1/2 acres I won't buy a Gator or RTV. The carryall will be almost permanently hooked to the Ford. There are a couple compartments in the front that were put there for different fuel cans but they'll also be handy to keep smaller stuff contained. It's currently set up to carry one weedeater, pole saw or similar tool with a shaft. If necessary there's enough material laying around to make some mods if needed. Still need to knock off some of the sharp edges and fasten a bungee strap to keep the weedeater in the cradle.

EDIT - To add pic of the old leaf blower (source of a good portion of the carryall frame)

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thats a great job using "left overs".

I especially like the "notched out" area for carrying a trimmer/pole saw/brush cutter.(y)(y)(y)

Edit: Might want to think about some sort of "latch mechanism" to prevent trimmer from bouncing out?

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Nice job on the Carryall. You will find buggee cords are your friend to keep ideas in the Carryall. The only thing I see that needs to be done right away is to put a Kubota orange paint job on that tractor. LOL.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Thanks. Made a teensy bit of progress today addressing 1-1/2 of the 2 things mentioned in the last line of the original post: Still need to knock off some of the sharp edges and fasten a bungee strap to keep the weedeater in the cradle.

Harbor Freight had a nice bungee with eyes and carabiners on each end. Removed the carabiner from one end and ran a screw eye through it so it doesn't get lost.

I did make a small outside corner plane from a scrap piece of slotted angle and although it works, it's too darn hot to mess with it today. Sharpened the corner of the slotted angle and trimmed and bent the two flats out a bit so it would only cut the sharp edges off the PVC.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user