Can I start my L3710 Without the Key?

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I still have not fixed my L3710, which sometimes will not start. It looks like the HST safety switch is hinky. We have had three storms plus a long trip, so I have not sent the tractor to the dealer yet.

Now that Milton has passed, I have to start the tractor one way or the other so I can get trees and limbs out of the yard. Knowing the local dealer it would probably take a month to get the tractor fixed.

Can I get away with shorting the starter? I've never done it. I don't want to damage anything.

I don't know how to do it, but I guess I can figure it out.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Applying 12+V at the starter solenoid terminal will cause it to spin the starter. You may need to find a way to keep the fuel solenoid in the run position or it may not fire up. If your finicky switch acts up on you, it might cause the fuel solenoid to shut the pump down, hence a need to mechanically keep it open.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think if you turn the key to the run position, and then jump the 12 volts from the starter lug, to where the wire connects from the safety circuit to activate the solenoid, that you should be fine.

BUT you MUST make sure the brake is set, the tractor is in neutral, and that you can get out of the way quickly if the tractor should move when you do this...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you are in the South you may not need the glow plugs to get the tractor started but if you do need them make sure you get the glow plugs warm, set key to run and then get it cranking all in fairly quick order or the glow plugs cool off.

I know on my tractor the crank position also powers the glow plugs so that is being bypassed in this situation.

See this thread post 9 and 10 for pictures and explanation of the bypass key operation