Bz23 Tractor won't shut off...

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Bx23 2003, my ignition won't turn off my tractor. I had to stuff a plastic bag in the air intake to shut it off, a rag did not work.

I had a brief conversation with a service guy before they went home and he suggested a fuel shut off solenoid might be bad. There are a couple of unconnected wires.
The blue one has broken off the connecting clip and looks like it goes to some kind of solenoid on the bottom right side of the engine but reconnecting it did not turn off the tractor. The white wire has a connecting clip but I can't see anything it goes to and I think it's always been disconnected.

Suggestions?

BadAndy

Equipment
BX23s TLB-BX2822A Snow blower-LP BB-HLA Forks-Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
I had the same problem on my lawn tractor, ended up being a broken ground wire, not sure if that helps but it took days to figure out.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The second screen shot shows a low oil pressure sending switch.

Does the low oil dash light turn on when the key is turned to ON. I think it is not!

forum BX23 wiring.jpg

I see signs of other wiring repairs.

Can you provide more history on this tractor and its current state.

Each fuel injector has a rigid steel line connected. Follow these steel lines and they will lead you to the fuel injection pump.

forum BX23 injection lines.jpg

Attached to the fuel injection pump will be the engine stop solenoid which will look like this.

forum BX23 stop solenoid.jpg

Try and find the stop solenoid. Tell me how many wires are in the electrical connector and the colors of these wires.

Dave

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Dave is, as usual correct. The blue wire should have a female end on it and connect to the oil pressure switch.
The white wire is not used on your engine.
On your engine, look at the injection pump where the throttle cable connects. Right beside the throttle arm is a mechanical shut-off lever with nothing connected to it. You can move it to kill the engine rather than using a plastic bag. Be cautious and use a screwdriver or such as it is close to the plastic cooling fan blades.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Check your fuses. I believe the fuel stop solenoid runs off the same circuit as the 5 amp connector behind the seat for aux power.

Reactions: 1 user

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
Ahh... fuses. Yes, it is a fuse. Unfortunately, one of the fuse poles stuck in the fuse clip when I pulled it out, but at least I know the problem, another wire I need to fix, and a little more about my tractor. Thanks to all!

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
So the "fuse box" is toast, with at least one other very corroded fuse. The fuse holders clip together. Do I need a kubota part for replacement or can I get something equivalent or better at a good auto parts store? Do the wires pull out or do I need to just cut them out?

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I am the original owner. The tractor always runs. I believe the first picture is the stop fuel solenoid Dave mentioned and the second is the lever white tiger mentioned - correct?
Correct. The lever with nothing attached is the fuel cut off.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
The BX23 wasn't exactly known for its well organized fuse arrangement. On mine, I cut out all the old fuse holders and installed an after market fuse box, available from Amazon, Ebay etc. If you feel confident in your ability to do this correctly, that is the way to go.
fusebox1.jpg
fusebox2.jpg
fusebox3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dvto2

Equipment
Bx23 and implements
Feb 26, 2019
east granby
That's beautiful. I went with waterproof connectors from the auto parts store. Got everything connected and running again. Thanks all.

dpl096

Equipment
2003 BX23D
Aug 13, 2024
central illinois