BX2680

ibhopn2it

Equipment
BX2680
Jul 30, 2024
Kankakee Illinois
I am trying to buy my husband a dump trailer that will hold his 2680 as an anniversary surprise. What would the dimensions with tiller, bucket, and mower be? Also, would be the weight capacity need to be to safely transport his tractor?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
BX2680? Specifications are here: https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/009/1/1/9114-kubota-bx2680.html

Presuming you're US-based so you like old school measures, that gives 95 inches long, 45 inches wide, 1,500lbs. That's without loader or tiller, and without mower.

The mower is probably 60 inch / 5 foot. The boot on the side adds a bit, you can pull it up, but you would want 6 foot wide probably.

Length-wise 95 inches is 9 foot. Loader plus tiller, you'll be another 4 foot minimum.

So.....14 foot by 6 foot wide is your minimum I think. Others will know what's common in the US, but I think this would be a common size.

You'll want the BX to be able to pull it, so don't go too big. Also, presumably he'll want the BX to be able to fill the trailer. Watch out for height, the BX doesn't have a lot of height on the front end loader, you want to be able to tip over the side into the trailer. You probably don't want super high sides on the trailer. If you find the right trailer and it's a bit tall, he can always dump a few loads of dirt by the side, so he can drive up onto the dirt for a bit more height, but it's a hassle. Realistically a trailer too tall for the BX to tip into will also be way to heavy for the BX to pull when it's full.

How will the trailer dump? You can get ones you hand pump the hydraulics up (hard work), ones with an electric over hydraulic pump, and ones that go onto the tractor hydraulics to tip it. The last option is best, but I'm guessing he won't have rear hydraulic outputs to drive it - so factor in buying him a set of those as well to make him super happy.

Having said that, if the plan is for the BX to fill it, then he'll pull the trailer with his truck to dump it, then you'll want an electric tipper ideally. The truck won't have hydraulic outputs.

Also consider what truck he's pulling it with. A BX isn't super heavy so most trucks will do it. But you need to know if he's gonna want a bumper pull or a gooseneck.

Last point. I love surprises. But I also love picking my own stuff out. Given a choice, I'd probably prefer be involved in picking the trailer than getting the surprise. He'll probably never tell you it wasn't the perfect trailer, but if he's anything like me he knows what trailer he wants, and getting a trailer that isn't the one he wanted is not quite as good as the exact one he's been driving past in the shop and wanting for a year or more. Does he happen to have brochures or websites he's visiting or something that would tip you off what brand/spec he is keen on? Or a friend that he talks to about it that would know exactly what he's looking at? Hell, would you be accidentally driving past a trailer shop and pop in to look and kill time with him one day....and take notes on what he talks to the sales guy about?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There is no over-the-road dump trailer that you would be able to pull with a BX with material in it. The type of trailer that she is describing is a commercial dual-axle dump trailer and they cost between $9000 - $12,000. He will also need to have a vehicle that is rated to pull such a trailer. Most dump trailers start at 7000 GVW and go up from there. If he is going to be using it with his mower deck he will most likely need a 7' wide trailer Picture of one below.

Sure-Trac 5 x 10 low profile dump trailer 7K (14).JPG

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
As a husband and equipment user I'd offer this advice. Give him a nice anniversary card with a handmade coupon good for one trailer and include him in the decision on which one. Surprises are great when it comes to a tie or sweater, but getting it "almost right" on a big ticket item would be a real shame.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
As a husband and equipment user I'd offer this advice. Give him a nice anniversary card with a handmade coupon good for one trailer and include him in the decision on which one. Surprises are great when it comes to a tie or sweater, but getting it "almost right" on a big ticket item would be a real shame.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ADVICE !!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Remember a BX doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I had a 6 x 10 8000 pound dump trailer and my BX2360 would fit in but the ramp angle was very scary and the deck would hang up at the break over point with my arched ramps. I switched to a landscape trailer that is safe and fast to load. Most dump trailers have a 24 inch deck height with landscape trailers under 14 inches.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am trying to buy my husband a dump trailer that will hold his 2680 as an anniversary surprise. What would the dimensions with tiller, bucket, and mower be? Also, would be the weight capacity need to be to safely transport his tractor?
Wow what a gesture.

I wonder would you consider to mentor or train others that might be considered more of a ‘project’?😉

I am genuinely overly cautious to suggest a trailer in this case and not really understand the use case. IMO opinion you need more than just the dimensions of the items to be hauled so as how to balance them and how to tie them down appropriately. That’s a tough one based off the description and not have seen the trailer in person. I am not sure what return policy is on a trailer but unless real sure I’d be cautious.

Honestly that is a great gesture / thought from a significant other. That’s benchmark / keeper material for sure.

IMO, and only my opinion, on the special day I would recommend you ask your spousal unit to dinner and at dinner ask that afterward they take you trailer shopping and ask your spousal unit help you pick one out. Tell him the color you want but otherwise pick one out he’d like to borrow. It could still be a surprise that way.

good luck. 👍