BX2680 losing all power and hydraulics.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
I have a 2021 BX that I bought new. Even now, I only have 60 hrs.
I recently had it serviced. All filters replaced and fluid flushed. It is hard for me to get any service up here. The one guy we have is not very reliable. (I'll be up there in an hour means sometime in the next three weeks).
I guess I should do my own wrench cranking. I know how, have the tools/shop but I thought I'd play it safe and have a "professional" do it. He installed my 3rd function valve, and it has never caused a problem, so he earned my trust.
Having said all that, I recently got 16 tones of topsoil that I need to move and spread. I am loading the FEL bucket to just about its limit, carry it 50 feet and dump, spread. But after a while, the RPM drops to 100 to 200, bobbing up and down. I have 3/4 tank of fuel, but it seems to act like fuel starvation of bad diesel. When it happens, I have to nurse it to the garage, sputtering and coughing. It sounds like an old case "dieseling". Of course, it is diesel, but it coughs and sputters like the old cars that you could not shut off.
It seems to start when I am working up the dirt hill.
I flipped up the hood and looked at the fuel filter and it does not look bad. It was just changed out2 months ago.

I keep the tractor in a garage and I'm in N. Ga. so we get lots of rain but rarely freeze. I must admit, it takes me months to go through a tank of fuel. I am wondering about condensation collecting but I would hope the fuel filter would catch it. I'm also a private pilot and have always tested avgas during pre-flight for water but also drain out any condensate just by sampling.
Of course, I am not even sure this is a bad fuel issue.
Ideas? Advice?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First - the starvation is more than likely fuel related -

the fuel filter you looked at is the SECOND filter - it ALWAYS looks good, simply the first one trapped all the bad stuff.

I would find a way to roll the tractor on a "ramp" to get under easily - then pull off the filter - yeah it is a bitch up under the tractor, get a good pair of hose pliers that will choke off the flow.

I betcha THAT filter is nasty ..............

many of us have rerouted the flow and use a much better filtration system - in my opinion it is well worth it.

Red arrow is 1/4 turn 5/16" ball valve btw

1711645572799.png

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
I have the same problem, let the tractor sit twenty minutes and it runs fine again.
Fuel tank is full and I screen the fuel so I doubt if it's dirt or water.
Machine is stored in a non heated garage.
I'll let the fuel run down and drain the tank and have a look inside the tank with a camera but I'm wondering if the fuel pump could be failing at times causing this.
Tractor always starts fine and this doesn't happen until the tractor has been running for an hour or more.
Fuel filters have been changed.
I'm waiting for the sun to come out before I do my yearly maintenance.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can start taking the fuel lines off and evaluate the fuel flow out of them. Tank to lift pump is gravity driven. I think I would start at the lift pump and see what the output looks like.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
TO add to what Russell said - when YOU turn the key - like you would to glow, DO you HEAR the ticking of the fuel pump.

Have you changed the PITA filter up under near the tank?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, 2-3 year old tractor, 60 hrs....
My bet is 'crud' in the tank, maybe a 'semi-floater' that's blocking the outlet spigot.
Your tank same design as my BX23S. Mine 'sputtered'...ended up spigot was plugged by chard of black plastic. That was 5 years ago..since then have 'mason jay clod press coffee filter' IN the tank 'filling' neck. Zero issues with fuel.

I'd remove fuel line at first filter, then drain entire tank of fuel. Install new filter.
If the old fuel doesn't 'piss out' PDQ, you'll need to CLEAN the tank real good.